Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sashing help please!

Sashing help please!

I am having problems getting the sashing to line up on this quilt top. Any suggestions on how to fix this? My feeling is that my seam ripper and I will be getting reaquainted!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Debby...Momm to Bogie, Phredd (ATB 10/1/12) & Bobb (ATB 12/10/12)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...9EEF7B0639.png

Blog Entries
    oh my, even i have trouble at times with doing that. I lay one on top and peek underneath often and pin, pin, pin.
    it ain't easy! yes, you will have to try again. match centers, pin, peek, pin. match ends, pin, and so on inbetween.
    good luck.

Power Poster
    It looks like your blocks may have some bias edges which can cause them to stretch. Take it apart, starch and iron your blocks, check to make sure they all measure the same before trying to re-sash. When doing sashes you need to pin well and ease in any extra fabric so that the blocks all line up with the pre-determined length of the long sashing pieces. When ripping out long stretches of sewing, I like to cut one side of the bobbin sewing thread (use a ripper or pointed snips) every 3 to 4 stitches. This allows me to pull the whole top thread and it will come right apart.

I have the same problem. I started laying the long sashing piece and marking with fabric pencil where to pin. Sometimes I just put cornerstones, if I want sashing all the same color I use same fabric for the cornerstone. Adds a couple more seams but I don't think it is so noticeable when quilited and it is so much easier to line up.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    oh my, even i have trouble at times with doing that. I lay one on top and peek underneath often and pin, pin, pin.
    it ain't easy! yes, you will have to try again. match centers, pin, peek, pin. match ends, pin, and so on inbetween.
    good luck.
    this is the method i use, too
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I cheat and use cornerstones, even if the cornerstone and sashing are the same fabric. That's the only way I can keep everthing aligned, by matching the seams.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Here's my method for lining up sashing strips, assuming the blocks are somewhat uniform.

Sew the first row together. Sew the long line of sashing underneath that row. Turn it over. Using a ruler and pencil, extend each block's seam lines by *marking* that long line of sashing. Basically these are virtual seam lines in the long sashing strip.

Sew the next row together. When sewing this row to the long sashing strip, first match each seam line to each sashing mark and pin. When you sew this row on to the sashing strip, ease or stretch as necessary to keep those pins lined up.

Believe me, this method works and it's easy to do.

First of all make sure all your blocks are the same size. I am making a quilt with sashes and cornerstones. I hate all the pains of getting everything to match up. I try not to pick a quilt like that but, seems I keep doing it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Here's my method for lining up sashing strips, assuming the blocks are somewhat uniform.

Sew the first row together. Sew the long line of sashing underneath that row. Turn it over. Using a ruler and pencil, extend each block's seam lines by *marking* that long line of sashing. Basically these are virtual seam lines in the long sashing strip.

Sew the next row together. When sewing this row to the long sashing strip, first match each seam line to each sashing mark and pin. When you sew this row on to the sashing strip, ease or stretch as necessary to keep those pins lined up.

Believe me, this method works and it's easy to do.
    Instead of using a ruler and pencil/pen, you can also fold the long sashing strip and finger press the extension of the block seam...different techniques.
    Kate

Blog Entries
    Did you square your blocks to be the same size before you added the sashing?
    Did you cut the sashing to the row width before adding it or did you just add a length of a strip?
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast