Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing >

Sashing

Sashing

Old 12-28-2006, 03:10 PM

Hello, I am new to this form. Not sure if I am in the correct place. I am trying to find out how to measure for sashing. I have 7" blks and I want 2" sashing around each blk. I wish my quilt to end up 81" by 100". I bought 2yds of fabic, I am hoping that is enough. Thank you. ji
Old 12-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Banned

Here is a web page that you might find helpful, I did.

Debbie

http://www.the-quilt-center.com/measure.htm#Strips_that_can_be_cut_from_44_Wide_Fa bric

Click on Strips that can be cut from 44" Wide Fabric and see if that helps.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Thank you for the information.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Ram

Cornerstone used in Sashing Can some help me figure out the measurement to incorporate a cornerstone block into the sashing. I think I should be able to make the block or square and cut sashing strips a certain lenght rather than piecing. Thank you
Old 01-22-2007, 05:35 AM

This is how I do my sashing and cornerstones. Let's pretend we're working with a 9" block and 2" sashing. I do the vertical strips first. Cut the sashing 9" X 2 1/2 and do one row of blocks at a time. I don't put sashing on the outside edges of the blocks because you'll have a border there. So take your first block and sew a piece of sashing to the right hand side, press and sew the sashed block to the next block. Continue across the row, adding a piece of sashing to each added block. So now you have long sashed strips.
Now for the horizontal sashing. I make one long piece made up of sashing and cornerstones. Cut the sashing 9 1/2" X 2 1/2" and the cornerstones 2 1/2" X 2 1/2.Now join them in one long strip--sashing, cornerstone, sashing cornerstone..... until you have the length you need. Now join that long strip to the bottom of a previously sashed strip of blocks, making sure you match your cornerstones with the vertical sashing. Press. Then add a row of sashed blocks. Press. Continue on, adding a row of strips between each row of blocks. Trim any fabric off the edges. Hope this makes sense and helps. If you understand this, you can adapt it to any size block you want, Just don't forget to add seam allowances when you measure. If you are doing sashing without cornerstones then just cut your horizontal sashing the length you need to go across.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Re: Borders This is great information for sashing. . I have just completed my first quilt. My sashing is OK. I need to know how to add the borders. I want to use straight grain strips. This quilt is 59-1/2" long. Should I use WOF and piece. If so how to sew these strips together for the length I need. THANKS
Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Ram

Winnie Thank you very much for the information....very clear instructions, too. I am going to give it a try and I'll let you know how
my sashing & cornerstone blocks come out and match up.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 AM

Re: borders for joyplace---There are some who say borders should be cut only on the length of fabric, however I have never done this. To make strips for a length of border this is what I do. Measure and cut as many strips on WOF as you need. They look best if joined on the bias. To do this lay one strip down horizontally and then lay another strip on top of it vertically (face down) on the right hand end of the strip. Draw a line from the top left corner to the bottom right corner, pin and sew. Trim and press ( I press open here). You'll now have your 2 pieces joined with a nice neat diagonal seam. Continue on until you have the length you need.
P.S. When you measure they say you should measure across the middle of the length and width of your quilt and use these measurements for cutting border strips. Then when applying the border strips match the middle of the border strip to the middle of the quilt edge and the either ease in or stretch a bit to fit it. This will keep your quilt squared up better.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:37 AM

When joing , join on the 45 angle they dont show as much press seam open trim to 1/4 inch hope this helps