Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Satisfied only doing a Bargello? >

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

Old 05-17-2014, 04:58 AM

Default Satisfied only doing a Bargello?

I don't know how to pose this question, but I guess I want to know if anyone else has experienced being stuck on one type of quilt?

I made my first Bargello in November, and I just finished my 5th one. I am going to make a mirror image of that Bargello, but I thought I would "take a break" and sort of relax with a different pattern before I started it. (A Bargello isn't hard, but it is a bit time consuming, I think.)

So I started a Turning Twenty, and I wasn't pleased with it. The pieces just seemed too large. So last night I cut each block into fourths, and now I am playing with those pieces. I still am not satisfied. I will play with it a bit more, and then I am going to put it up if I can't get more satisfied with it. Then I will start the Bargello.

I just don't seem to be interested in anything but a Bargello quilt. I am assuming this will pass, but it didn't between my 4th and 5th. I did the same thing. I messed around with a different quilt pattern and finally abandoned it for the Bargello.

So, have you ever sort of been possessed by one type of quilt design? How long did it possess you? I really really like my Bargello quilts, but surely I am not stuck with only liking them?

Thanks for any insight. (Yeah, I know this isn't really a big problem, but I sort of want to know that I am not alone, that I will get back to enjoying a variety of quilts...)

Dina
Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 AM

Why not continue to work with what you love doing? Nothing wrong with that!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Do what you enjoy and enjoy all you do. Plain and simple. Have fun with them.
peace
Old 05-17-2014, 05:32 AM

I seem to be stuck in a paper piecing phase since last July. I've finished all the blocks for one, and I'm simultaneously working on two more full sized paper pieced quilts, also doing lots of miscellaneous blocks in between just for fun. I have no idea when this PP ride will end.

I really enjoy working with the small pieces too. Like doing puzzles I think...
I'm not using up a lot of stash this way, but maybe that will change when I actually start to assemble the quilts.

you are definitely not alone ;-)

Last edited by DebraK; 05-17-2014 at 05:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I seem to be stuck in a paper piecing phase since last July. I've finished all the blocks for one, and I'm simultaneously working on two more full sized paper pieced quilts, also doing lots of miscellaneous blocks in between just for fun. I have no idea when this PP ride will end.

I really enjoy working with the small pieces too. Like doing puzzles I think...
I'm not using up a lot of stash this way, but maybe that will change when I actually start to assemble the quilts.

you are definitely not alone ;-)

Thank you! For some reason this really helps. I suspect that "getting stuck on one thing" is true of me in other parts of my life and I just haven't figured it out yet. But it helps to know I am not alone.

Dina
Old 05-17-2014, 05:52 AM

Many times I find that I go through a phase where I work on one type project till I find another one to take it's place. I do not think of it as an obsession. I prefer to relate this to more like an artist study of a different technique. I do the same thing with other interests. I have gone through several cooking phases like crock pot, cup cakes, scones and soup. If this is not normal I do not want to know! Enjoy your current enjoyment till you find another. Happy Quilting!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Auntie V View Post
Many times I find that I go through a phase where I work on one type project till I find another one to take it's place. I do not think of it as an obsession. I prefer to relate this to more like an artist study of a different technique. I do the same thing with other interests. I have gone through several cooking phases like crock pot, cup cakes, scones and soup. If this is not normal I do not want to know! Enjoy your current enjoyment till you find another. Happy Quilting!
I like this way of thinking about it, a phase...yes, that works. Thanks. Right now I am playing with the pieces of the non-Bargello quilt I sort of want to make. But my heart isn't in it. My mind is about to decide that is okay and just move on...

Dina
Old 05-17-2014, 06:32 AM

If you like working with a particular "type" of quilt and have tried others and didn't like working on it, then why switch. You might eventually get "tired" of working with your "love" and branch out to other blocks.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:28 AM

Nothing wrong with that! You might try a French Braid if you want something different, but kind of familiar also. Picking colors would be similar to doing the bargello.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:57 AM

Don't give yourself a hard time! You clearly have mastered the art of bargellos and they make you happy and give you a feeling of having done something well which is very important! And this style gives you lots of room for creative design challenges, not to mention the organization and piecing skills. Do what you like to do!