Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Savannah, Geogia >

Savannah, Geogia

Savannah, Geogia

Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 PM

Default Savannah, Geogia

I will be visiting Savannah in the fall and would love some recommendations on quilting related shops/places to check out! Neighboring towns will do as well; we may also head over to Beaufort, South Carolina and whereabouts if we have the time. There is a chance we may briefly stop in Augusta as well.

Colonial Quilts looks interesting especially with their embroidery blocks. I'm looking for unique things like that, but am interested in any recommendations. Of course, good prices are always a plus

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:42 PM

I recently visited Stepping Stones Quilts on St. Simons Island, about an hour from Savannah. Nice store, I managed to find some things I couldn't live without.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:44 AM

Sew Much More in Garden City! We went to Hilton Head last year and spent 2 days in Savannah. Bonnie, the owner of Sew Much More, and her staff were the most friendliest group I encountered in any of the shops I visited. When she found out that we were traveling with my 15 yo Pomeranian Toby, she insisted I bring him inside the shop and even took a picture with us!!!

We also went to Island Quilters which is in Hilton Head (if you make it that far out from Savannah). Nice selection and I did drop a good amount of cash in there as they had a fabulous markdown room.

We planned a detour off our main route from Indiana to Hilton Head to stop in Gastonia, NC at Mary Jo's. It was well worth the detour, depending on your route to Savannah. It is huge so if you go, budget yourself a good amount of time. I only had an hour and I missed a great deal of the store!!!

Enjoy Savannah! Take one of the horse drawn city tours; you will learn a lot about the history of Savannah and the architecture of the homes and buildings is just fabulous!! And go eat Macaroni & Cheese at Paula Deen's resteraunt, Lady & Sons - you won't be disappointed !!!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Oh, I live in Beaufort, SC. Come on down! We have a little gem of a quilt shop called Tabby Fabric and Studio. It's small; they're only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays (they're mostly an online shop now). They specialize in modern fabric and notions.

The prices aren't bargain prices. It's like at least $11.50 per yard of fabric but that's because they carry designer fabric like Moda, Cloud 9, etc. This is their website : http://www.tabbyfabricandstudio.com/ Definitely stop in. The owner is super nice.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 AM

Been there twice and LOVE IT. We drove to Hilton head for lubch and I could not wait to go back to Savannah. Love Tybee Island too. Have fun!
sandy
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 AM

Thanks everyone, I can't wait! I know I will be getting to some of the outlying islands via tours, so hopefully if I spot a store I will be able to sneak in for a minute (oh who am I kidding, who can just run into a fabric store for a few minutes? ). Re: Tabby Fabric, I wonder if they named it after the Tabby architecture style that I hear was prevalent in the area.
So excited!