Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scan N Cut vs. Cameo Shilouette >

Scan N Cut vs. Cameo Shilouette

Scan N Cut vs. Cameo Shilouette

Old 10-04-2014, 08:12 PM

Default Scan N Cut vs. Cameo Shilouette

Wanting something that works well on fabric and allows me to cut either "normal" shapes or shapes I "draw" to use in art quilts. the price is very different on these two cutters--I do understand that the scan n cut does not use your computer and the Cameo does, but guess what I'm wanting is a cutter that works well actually cutting fabric and does not require extensive CAD skills to use--help?!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:10 PM

if you want it for fabric from reviews the scanncut does a better job at it, you can still use inkscape and canvas in computer to alter files for scanncut and scanncut has built in applique and pieced quilt designs. It has alot of features geared towards quilters, its pricey, but I really like for what it can do just on the machine with no computer. The only qualm I have with it is the bad manual. Brothers sewing machine manuals are awesome but that seems where they end when it comes to manuals. this manual was about as bad as my brother embroidery software manual.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-05-2014 at 01:42 AM. Reason: language
Old 10-05-2014, 01:12 AM

I suggest you watch some you tube videos on both products. Not necessarily the company videos but ones that users have posted.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

The cameo has a program on your computer that you can use to draw your own designs. I have had no problems using my cameo for cutting fabric.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:54 AM

You can scan into Silhouette, too. I happen to use Illustrator. The Silhouette takes up a lot less room, doesn't need extra ink since you can print to any printer, and if you already have a scanner, it doesn't duplicate that.

I prefer separate printers and scanners. I can buy the brand I like of each.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM

I have the scan n cut, while a friend of mine bought the cameo, so we have been comparing notes. I use the standard cutting mat as is for paper, but have an additional mat to which I added a a "fabric support sheet" and have had success with fabric. My friend said that she was disappointed because she could only cut fabric that had been fused to a backing, as in for applique. This was a few months ago, and we have both had alot going on, so I don't know if she has resolved this issue.