Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: scant " seam allowance

if a pattern doesn't tell you to use a scant " seam allowance, should you do this anyways......I'm having trouble getting my blocks to measure the proper finished block size when squaring up.....I guess what I'm wondering is, should you always use a scant seam allowance

Yes, always use the scant 1/4".

Ditto! Yes, always use the scant 1/4".

just what is scant?? like a pinch of salt?? LOL
    im having trouble too

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a tutorial on this board:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-89997-1.htm
    You need to recheck your seam allowance if you change machines or thread weight.

Blog Entries
    Yes.

I use my quarter inch foot and never have any problems as it is the same throughout my quilt. There are so many topics on the scant quarter inch but honestly I've never bothered because I just love my foot. If you use the same foot or scant quarter inch throughout your quilt you shouldn't have any problems. I know many people will disagree with this but this is what I do and never had any problems with my seams alligning perfectly.

I agree with quiltmaker. I never bother with scant " seams. Don't see any reason to. As long as the seam allowance is consistant throughout the quilt, the only difference a scant seam will make is in the final overall dimensions.

Using the edge of my " foot makes for extreme accuracy in the seams, dead-on matches, flat tops and squared corners. It is also stress-free, much easier to align, and more fun in the making. Having a final size that exactly matches the original design just doesn't matter to me. If it needs to be larger (it's never off by much more than an inch each way), I just increase the width of the outer border.

Blog Entries
    I strive for consistency. If I start with a scant 1/4" I try to maintain that. If I start with a 1/2" I stay with that size.

farscapegal
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    I use my quarter inch foot and never have any problems as it is the same throughout my quilt. There are so many topics on the scant quarter inch but honestly I've never bothered because I just love my foot. If you use the same foot or scant quarter inch throughout your quilt you shouldn't have any problems. I know many people will disagree with this but this is what I do and never had any problems with my seams alligning perfectly.
    Same with me. I just use my 1/4" foot and have no problems.

Sybil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast