Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scant 1/4" or full 1/4" seam allowance? >

Scant 1/4" or full 1/4" seam allowance?

Scant 1/4" or full 1/4" seam allowance?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:46 AM

I have a quarter inch foot on my Janome and I use that guide for all my seams whether it says scant or not. I have never been a fan of teachers or patterns that call for a scant 1/4".
Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher View Post
I have a quarter inch foot on my Janome and I use that guide for all my seams whether it says scant or not. I have never been a fan of teachers or patterns that call for a scant 1/4".
Amen! If the fabric is cut correctly, stitched correctly, and pressed correctly, there's seldom any need for skimping on that 1/4" seam. If the fabric isn't cut correctly, all bets are off.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 AM

I usually set my seam guide to a very scant 1/4"...basically, that's about a thread's width away from a perfect1/4". However, RARELY, IF EVER do I sew a perfect seam every time. I mean, really, with only a thread's width of tolerance, how could I be THAT perfect? (I tell my DH and kids that I'm, "perfect," but they all know that it's a snow job.) And what's more, does it really matter? So long as your blocks meet the size requirements, square up and match up with the other blocks, you should be fine.

~ Cindy
Old 02-24-2015, 09:03 AM

Bonnie Hunter is one quilt designer who calls for "scant 1/4" seams in most, or a lot, of her patterns. I am going to try to figure out what I need to do/change on the pattern so that I can utilize a full 1/4" seam instead because some of my seams look more like 1/8" seams and I don't believe they should be that thin. And yes, I use Aurifil or other good thread.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 AM

If you have a 1/4" foot for your machine, be sure to watch how you line it up. You may want to read the instructions that came with your machine to see how it needs to be lined up
Old 02-24-2015, 10:40 AM

This has been so helpful - such good ideas.
And the link by paperprincess (posting #3) shows a great tutorial.

Thanks to everyone!
Old 02-25-2015, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Truly, unless you are swapping blocks, what does it matter? If you use your 1/4" on all the blocks, they should be all the same. Simple. Do not over think a fairly easy process!

If you are swapping blocks, measure like crazy until you finish with the desired size.
Ummm.... except when it DOES! As a pattern designer, I can tell you that it really does matter if you find your perfect 1/4" seam, even on your own blocks. As an example... say you're making a very simple block from a pattern, and it calls for a 4 patch unit to be attached to another piece. If the 4 patch you've sewn doesn't have accurately sewn seams, it will not match up to the square you've cut out to attach it to. You can't blame the pattern designer for that, but it is frustrating for you as the one sewing it. Every single project you ever sew will go faster and smoother in the future if you find out first where that accurate seam is. And the more seams in the pattern, the more that matters. It's not the "quilt police" talking here... it's someone trying to help you avoid future frustration. LOL!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Madan49 View Post
Ummm.... except when it DOES! As a pattern designer, I can tell you that it really does matter if you find your perfect 1/4" seam, even on your own blocks. As an example... say you're making a very simple block from a pattern, and it calls for a 4 patch unit to be attached to another piece. If the 4 patch you've sewn doesn't have accurately sewn seams, it will not match up to the square you've cut out to attach it to. You can't blame the pattern designer for that, but it is frustrating for you as the one sewing it. Every single project you ever sew will go faster and smoother in the future if you find out first where that accurate seam is. And the more seams in the pattern, the more that matters. It's not the "quilt police" talking here... it's someone trying to help you avoid future frustration. LOL!
I agree with this. Scant seams make no sense to me. I used a scant 1/4 inch seam that the pattern called for and my pieces were too big when I tried to sew them to the other part of the block. I had to rip them apart and sew then again with a true 1/4 inch seam.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:14 AM

Use what works.If your blocks measure correctly using a full 1/4 in use that.But if you find they are too small back the seam allowance back a little.Use a scant 1/4 in.Make a few test seams to find out.I think of patterns as just a guide.Adjust what you need to to get what you want.....I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I teach a Beginning Piecing Workshop regularly. I teach my students that all seams in piecing are a scant 1/4". And, that everyone finds their scant 1/4" seam differently. I have them sew on a 1/4" graph paper to see where the edge of the paper hits when they are sewing just to the right side of the line on the graph paper. When I sit down to my machine, I bump the needle bar position over one notch to the right, and guide the edge of my fabric just inside the feed dogs. 2 students in my current class, bump their seam allowance over 2 notches, but have to use the regular presser foot instead of a quarter-inch foot. Some can do great with guiding the fabric along the quarter-inch foot, but most can't see the right side edge of that foot. Here's a picture of sewing on graph paper to find that scant 1/4".
Annette, that is really helpful... now where is my graph paper.