Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: school house quilt

i am thinking of making a school house quilt for a friend of mine who has been in teacheing for over 35 years. I want to label each school house with the name of each school she has taught in over the years, but I am not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What does the block look like? Is there room in the background to embroider the name? An arc with the name above the school and then the years under it could look very nice. If you don't embroider, you might try pigma pens for the lettering. There are some very cute fonts available you could copy.

Here is a school house quilt I made for my daughter when she graduated from high school. I wrote the name of each of her schools in the pitch of the roof.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8142-1.htm

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Marcia, I really like your idea!

Blog Entries
    Wow! Marcia, I really like your idea too, what a keepsake!
    :)

Blog Entries
    if there isn't room on the school house itself you can put the name on the sashing below each block.

I think that quilt sounds great and your friend will love it.

I really don't have a specific block yet. I have seen some of the school house patterns, just haven't decided on one. Thanks for your suggestion, though. That's a possibility!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    What does the block look like? Is there room in the background to embroider the name? An arc with the name above the school and then the years under it could look very nice. If you don't embroider, you might try pigma pens for the lettering. There are some very cute fonts available you could copy.
    What is a pigma pen? I'm new to a lot of this!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Here is a school house quilt I made for my daughter when she graduated from high school. I wrote the name of each of her schools in the pitch of the roof.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-8142-1.htm
    Ilike the idea of using pictures as the windows. Maybe I can get a hold of her school pictures for each year....Is this your pattern for the school house or is there somewhere I can find it?