Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Scorched! Help!

Unhappy Scorched! Help!

I am doing a BOM and have scorched the cream colored base block. Is there anyway to wash out the mark the iron left on it? Anyone else do something like this. I feel so inept.
    Sandra

I've used white vinegar. I use 50/50 vinegar & water to clean glass & mirrors and use it on fabric to remove stubborn wrinkles. I just used the my diluted solution...dabbed it on w/a clean cloth and gently rubbed the scorch mark. I scorched the white back ground of a couple of house blocks. With patience it'll come out. Good luck!
    Pat from Texas

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

Here's a whole bunch of tips to try.
    http://www.creativehomemaking.com/ar.../123003c.shtml
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I would replace the fabric if at all possible. Scorched fabric is damaged fabric.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I would replace the fabric if at all possible. Scorched fabric is damaged fabric.
    ditto....I do that all the time to those white on whites that are too heavily painted!

Blog Entries
    You can rub lemon on it and put in sunshine that should help take it out

My grandmother used a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 lemon juice and hung the garment in the sun to dry. When she brought it in the scorched spot was gone.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    Was the base fabric starched? If so, you may have scorched just the starch and not the fabric. Even scorched starch washes out, so that is not a problem. I don't know about actual scorches of fabric -- don't you have to get the iron *really* hot or leave it on *really* long to do that? I've scorched starch many times with the cotton setting on my iron, but have yet to scorch fabric -- even though I'm not very careful.

It is for an applique block called Southern Gentleman. It is the base block, no starch. What happened was my bad kitty knocked over a basket of sewing items, pins etc, and I jumped to pick it all up then when I looked up I noticed my iron was still on the block. I have called Common Threads Quilting and left them a message to please send me an extra one to replace it. Thank you to all you who answered and helped out.
    Sandra