Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish Quilt Patterns

Scottish Quilt Patterns

Does anyone have a pattern that is obviously Scottish in origin or look? My brother has asked for a quilt that would be of Scottish design or look. I know the Celtic Knot is one that would work, but he didn't say that, just Scottish. I'd love to see or know of as many as possible so I can sit with him to choose which he would like. Thanks in advance. Overlander/Barb
    The decisions we make determine the lives that we lead. - The Renaissance Man

dd
    Do you know what your family tartan is? Or your family crest? Both would be great to use. My son-in-laws family crest has a blue & yellow pinwheel in the center. I was thinking of making him a quilt with that design.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Something with a scottish thistle would be very traditional. Google images of scottish quilts. You will get loads of ideas.

Here are a few I found
    http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=4C-83-5AF

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...iw=872&bih=434

Maybe a scrappy quilt with all plaids?

Blog Entries
    Speaking of Scottish, I have just finished watching all the series of Monarch of the Glen and now I am interested in Scottish history and traditions. There were a few quilts shown in the shows, mostly traditional pieced patterns. Wonderful family show!
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-17-2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Got fabric?

Here is another link I just found, quilt inspired by floor tiles from St. Andrews Cathedral in Inverness. This is a beauty!

http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/scottis...ilt/index.html

Unfortunately the directions don't include a pattern for the applique but you may be able to duplicate it on your own by downloading the photo and enlarging it.

This only makes a 40" wall hanging. You could probably enlarge it with borders or a round of blocks to enlarge it.

Cool Just watched

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Do you know what your family tartan is? Or your family crest? Both would be great to use. My son-in-laws family crest has a blue & yellow pinwheel in the center. I was thinking of making him a quilt with that design.
    Missouri Star has a tutorial for this plus a template and papers . Find it at there home site or you tube under periwinkle tutorial. Hope this is a help

Funnily enough I am doing a log cabin in blues with a white square - the square is bigger than normal so that I can quilt a thistle in the centre its for a scottish friend of mine

I googled Scottish Quilt Patterns and this is one of the patterns I got: http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qui...ars-Quilt.aspx
    Proud grandma of Coast Guard grandson and Air Force granddaughter!

Blog Entries
    There is a Scottish member living in the granite city , Aberdeen. Think her name is something like Kinnette?
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast