Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap fabric - size >

Scrap fabric - size

Scrap fabric - size

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM

For those that use left-over "scrap" fabric - what is the smallest size of scrap that you will work with.

I am currently sorting my craft room, and noticed that I have started cutting some scraps into 1" squares. That would mean they would be 1/2" finished?!? I'm thinking that not only would that be a LOT of work, but also thread and weight.

So I does raise the question and what is the most realistic smallest size you will work with. With what is left - do you throw it way or use it for another purpose?
Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 PM

I use as small as 1". Yeah, it takes forever to work with those, but I sew 'em together as leaders and enders while I'm working on something else. Eventually they'll be a quilt.

The smaller stuff I put into a basket to use as stuffing when I make pillows or dolls.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Search for Rhonda. She has some really cute crafts using small pieces. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17490-1.htm
I have these on my "to do" list for gifts.

She also has a good website
http://www.bitsnpiecesworkshop.com/
Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I sort small pieces like that into a separate bin for applique pieces. I just made a doll quilt with 1" finished blocks, and I am not sure I want to do that again real soon LMBO But I do find uses for them in applique.

I have mine sorted to size, less than a FQ, and Less than a F8th, and tiny. I find it easier to grab what I need this way. I also have a bin for strips, these are of different widths.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:24 PM

I save 1" strips (but don't cut them into squares) to use for small log cabin blocks. A friend of mine made some of these small blocks to border a panel which was a picture of a log cabin in the woods. It was perfect and so cute! I was saving every little bit of "waste" fabric and selvages and small pieces of batting to use as stuffing for pillows or whatever, but when I packed up to move, I threw them away, because they didn't seem to be worth packing and moving! But I'll probably start saving them again, since I hate to waste anything.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:51 PM

I save all scraps (I throw away selvedges) I am working on a spider web at the moment and this uses REAL crumbs. The other reason I save them is my Daughter, she will often ask for fabrics for collages or to fiddle and these bags of small scraps are ideal. (keeps her off my FQs!!)

I also attended a workshop recently where the tutor showed us that she saves scraps by colour and sits and snips them into tiny pieces in front of the TV - then she Irons bondaweb onto a piece of plain fabric and peels off the paper - she then sprinkles over her snipped fabric and irons until all the bondaweb is covered (I suppose you could use 505 for this too) then she free machine embroiders - kind of stipple - all over using a matching or contrasting thread. This 'NEW' fabric gets incorporated into her hangings and art quilts - I thought it was a neat idea....
Old 04-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Google Goddess

wow, cool idea, thanks

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
I save all scraps (I throw away selvedges) I am working on a spider web at the moment and this uses REAL crumbs. The other reason I save them is my Daughter, she will often ask for fabrics for collages or to fiddle and these bags of small scraps are ideal. (keeps her off my FQs!!)

I also attended a workshop recently where the tutor showed us that she saves scraps by colour and sits and snips them into tiny pieces in front of the TV - then she Irons bondaweb onto a piece of plain fabric and peels off the paper - she then sprinkles over her snipped fabric and irons until all the bondaweb is covered (I suppose you could use 505 for this too) then she free machine embroiders - kind of stipple - all over using a matching or contrasting thread. This 'NEW' fabric gets incorporated into her hangings and art quilts - I thought it was a neat idea....
Old 04-25-2010, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

That would be a fun way to use those tiny scraps. I'm not sure I would have the patience.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Look up the "Inchie quilts" Talk about small pieces. I haven't attempted one yet but want to. They would make cute pins for friends and gifts. As for my stash, everything that is bigger than 1". I also cut the fabric left from projects right then and sort them into little bins. My faborite scraps are from the" lumber yard", you know 2 x 4 1 x 12, 4 x 4, lol When I cut them right away, my room stays cleaner and less smaller pieces hanging around.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

1"