Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Happy >

Scrap Happy

Scrap Happy

Old 01-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Default Scrap Happy

In an effort to get rid of some the scraps I've saved for years I'm looking for project ideas. The one thing that has kept me from seriously diving into a scrap quilt project is the thought of cutting a gazzilion strips/squares/triangles. Just doesn't seem like a fun thing to start a project out with carpal tunnel from hours of cutting and prepping fabric. I appreciate your suggestions.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Scrappy is beautiful! Try a style of 9 patch in squares that are not so little. Just choose a pattern that has bigger size pieces and you won't feel so overwhelmed-promise!
Old 01-04-2012, 04:08 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

You can make ANYTHING scrappy... just find a pattern that you have on your bucket list that uses smaller pieces.. and work away.. Thats the joy of scappy- you dont have to fret over what color goes next to each other...

you can do a light/dark HST quilt...

Check out: www.quiltville.com
Bonnie Hunter is a scrappy quilter... Im sure you can find something that may interest you..
Heres a good one for smaller scraps: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...ick-stars.html

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 01-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Why don't you try crumb quilting? It is so much fun, here is just one web site:
http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

Most of my quilts are scrappy. I cut and sew and cut and sew. I hate to do all step 1 for a jillion blocks and then move to step 2......So and don't cut very far in advance. It works for me
Old 01-04-2012, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Why don't you try crumb quilting? It is so much fun, here is just one web site:
http://www.quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
Love love love the link. I do something similar but do wacky log cabins. I save all my scrap whites and muslin and cut the for foundation blocks. That way I don't have to worry if I wind up pulling a scrap that has poly in it. I have a top done. I'll take a pict tomorrow when i have light and post it so you can see.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM

The best pattern I found for strip scraps was on Sewing With Nancy years ago. The booklet is out of print but after yrs of searching it finally showed up on Amazon. It is called Scrap Happy Patchwork.
Use cut strips from 1 1/2 inch up to 5 1/2 inch to combine to make 6 1/2 in blocks that combine to make 12 1/2 in blocks.
So much fun to make and very easy.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 AM

I have made "controlled" scrappy quilts for years and have never cut all the pieces before sewing. Sometimes have 2 or 3 quilts in progress at the same time. I cut a enough pieces for a few blocks and then sew until I need more peices. Cannot stand cutting for hours. Works for me. Try it, you might enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM

I invested in an accuquilt go cutter and the 2 1/2" strip die. It's so easy that my 13 yr old son cuts my strips for me. I also don't have to buy jelly rolls which sometimes are frayed and not accurate cause I can cut them myself. Just a thought to make cutting easier for you.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM

I work the same way as scraphq. I have a QS 16 patch and pinwheel quilt laid out on the floor (my design wall) while I make the final 5 pinwheels and then sew it together. Pattern from www.quiltville.com - a great source for scrappy ideas. My blocks are made from 2.5 inch squares and 4.5 inch HST blocks. While I was sorting out scraps for these final blocks I also sorted out scraps for two other projects and strings for heartstring blocks.