Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scrap swaps? >

scrap swaps?

scrap swaps?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:31 PM

Default scrap swaps?

i don't really understand fabric swaps, but is it a way to change up your scrap stash?

after a couple of projects i am getting pretty sick of looking at some of this stuff and would love to trade with like minded people.

i did check the swap board here and think i'm on the right track, but i need some clarification about it al works.

aileen
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 AM
Power Poster

if you are looking for the rules for swapping, they can be found here http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...-a-t20154.html
otherwise, i'm not sure what questions you have.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:06 AM

stillclock check out Rhonda's scrap club. You may be able to swap scraps there with others.

Plus there are other charm swaps that are going on for 1.5" squares, 2.5" squares, FQ's, 5" charms. These swaps recycle themselves often on a monthly basis.

Keep checking the Swap thread to see what new swaps pop up. One may meet what you are looking for. I believe Rhonda's swap is more loosely based upon what the participates agree to swap.

Also check the Offers thread as there are members who rehome fabric scraps for postage only. Good luck.

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-26-2014 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Here's the link to Rhonda's scrap club

http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...b-t207686.html
Old 06-26-2014, 07:53 AM

That's a tough one--at least it would be for me. I understand the value in stretching outside your comfort zone when it comes to fabric choices, and I have branched out over time, but my primary concern about swapping with others is that I would end up with a whole lot of stuff I didn't like. Lots of quilt shops have bins or baggies with scraps in them, allowing you to pick and choose, that might be a place to start.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:33 AM

exactly terri. i was looking at these fabrics i have loved, but that i am ready to run out of - soon! and i was thinking about how you could make the swap fair in terms of quantity, but also....that depending on who you are swapping with, that you would actually want to use what you get.

i'll check the rules and stuff, but i don't want to be a member of a club or give my fabric away with nothing in return (not that i wouldn't donate some to someone for something...you know....) or have to buy fabric to swap. i just want to trade what i have and am tired of for what you have and are tired of. you know?

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 06-26-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 AM

There are certainly plenty of swaps on this board for you to choose from but you can't control what you get in exchange for what you send. It's just a gamble you have to be willing to take. I've done lots of swaps on this board and whenever I get something I know I won't use, I re-gift it. I think most people do that too. No harm. No foul. You need to be prepared to receive fabric that came from JoAnn's and similar. If that's not okay with you then you may need to reconsider.

I'd say for the most part, I've received some really good things in swaps.

Jane
Old 06-26-2014, 09:13 AM

stillclock I don't know if you can ever guarantee if you will use or like everything you get in a fabric swap. You also cannot guarantee quality of fabric. Some fabric will be LQS some big box stores and some Wally World. It is a mystery.

If these are your concerns, you may want to consider buying scrap bags from some of the fabric shops. I have purchased several scrap packs from online shops such as JAQS Fabrics, Hawthorne Fabrics and Fabric.com. On another scrap related thread someone mentioned purchasing scrap packs from eQuilter.com. While this is not trading scraps with other quilters, it is buying a variety of fabric scraps of LQS fabric for you to play with.

Also consider visiting yard/estate sales. Hopefully you will find fantastic fabric stashes from which to choose new fabrics to play with. The last moving sale I visited for fabrics, I came away with so much fabric I am still trying to incorporate it into my stash. I had to start a whole new box to house it all. I even got a half yard of Vera Bradley fabric in that sale.

There are several options for you to get new fabric scraps to play with. I hope you find something that will work for you.

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-26-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 AM

jclinganrey what scrappy block swap (circa Bonnie Hunter) are you involved in? I have that particular quilt (Scrappy Trips) on my radar since I am in a 2.5" square swap.

Last edited by Havplenty; 06-26-2014 at 09:29 AM.