Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: scrappy binding on jelly roll quilt

The quilt is very pretty and so is your kitty!

I make scrappy quilts with a multi fabric binding, it looks great and I get to use more scraps.
    I notice that your quilt inspector is doing a good job of holding the quilt down so it doesn't get away.
    Last edited by purplefiend; 10-24-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Yes, my quilt inspector is always there. He's worse than the quilt police!

Dina

Your borders and binding really dress that up. Nice quilt! Cute quilt inspector, too. She looks a lot like my Pogo.
    We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.
    ~ Charles Kingsley

Your quilt is wonderful and that binding idea was great. I often use leftovers for the binding. I think that it brings the quilt together.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I changed my mind at the last minute on the binding of this quilt. I had planned to go with the blue of the last border, but decided to try to use up the rest of the strips from my jelly roll. There weren't enough of any one fabric, so I just cut them in 14 inch segments and put them in the same order they were in the quilt. I have never done a scrappy border before, but I think this looks pretty good.

What do you think? Did I make the right decision? The binding is a bit hard to see, but maybe you can get the sense of it.

Dina
    I think it looks great-I've wanted to do this but was scared now you have inspired me

Your quilt is great and the binding looks perfect! what pattern is that? I love it! How many jelly rolls did it take...only one? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
    Your quilt is great and the binding looks perfect! what pattern is that? I love it! How many jelly rolls did it take...only one? Thanks!
    It took one jelly roll...I forgot how many strips were in it, but I remember it said it was 3 1/2 yards of fabric, if that helps. (It is the only jelly roll I have ever bought, but I sort of think they come in two sizes?) It is a rail fence pattern, with four outer borders of the four fabric strips that were in the jelly roll. Then I added the last blue border from fabric that didn't come in the felly roll. My intention was to make it look a bit less busy.

I hope this helps.

Dina

Looks great to me. Very pretty!

I like the idea of using up your scraps for the binding. It doesn't distract from the quilt and still adds a little color. I think I will use your idea on my scrappy quilt I've just finished. It's bordered and sashed with black, so a little pop of color will help it. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast