Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy quilt question >

Scrappy quilt question

Scrappy quilt question

Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Banned

Most all of my stuff is scrappy,but I sort of try to co ordinate them a bit so to me they dont look so cluttered.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by happymrs
I do all my quilts scrappy now, the more different fabrics the better! I did one in batiks & nearly every fabric I used, was different. Got tired at the end, so repeated a few near the end! Wanna see? You just have to go for it & play! Remember, once it is altogether, you see all the fabrics together, not which match which! It's fun, once you get the hang of it, get over worrying about what matches what... You might try one with a charm pack first. That way, it's small & all from the same line, but each square is different. I play with charms alot too, exactly for this reason!
Your quilt is gorgeous!
8-)
Old 12-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
Originally Posted by okiepastor
I did a king size strip quilt--grab and sew--the rule is you HAVE to use the one you grab unless it is the same color as the previous one :>)
Mile a minute is an easy one, too.
It is really amazing how it all works!
Whenever I tried the grab bag thing, I found myself 'cheating'! :oops:

:) Me too...I like to call it my "organized scrappy" quilt.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:04 PM

I am quite controlling with my colours but I love scrappy quilts. I'm still not a true blue scappy quilter though. I practice by choosing colours I would like and then using as many varities of that colour as I can. I did make a quilt from only scraps three inches or less to be made into 1" finished squares in my "scrappy hearts" quilt posted here this year but I did it still within a colour controlled way so I still have a ways to go. Keep practicing is my best advice. I do know a friend who did the ultimate and followed the instructions of a scrap quilt with so called ugly fabrics and did the light dark medium thing and it really turned out spectacular. We have fun picking the most displeased block we when search it and are amazed at how it is the colour a pattern that strike you first.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 AM

I pretty much choose fabrics for a scrapy quilt by:

1. Value (how light or dark a fabric is)
2. Intensity (how bright or dull a fabric is)
3. Color is the least important consideration
Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by LAB55
Most of my quilts are a scrappy crazy patch. I have used news papers for a foundation or muslin, just depends what I have on hand & what size I am doing.
It helps use up some scraps & fabric you are just not sure what to do with. The crazy patch does not have to match at seams, that is why I like them.
Jump in & use the bag method and have fun. :-)
could you describe your crazy patch,please?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM

If you are still not comfortable with the light, medium and dark bag method, I have often made a scrap quilt using only ONE color; all prints, solids and even the white background with that color used in the print. You could start out with just squares and half square triangles. Sort your one color into the dark, mediums and light values; this will give you the control but a scrappy look.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
I think you need to remember the tips on colors -balancing lights, darks, mediums, large-medium-small prints, and have an artistic eye. I've seen a lot of scrappy quilts that just look like a mess.
there are those of us without the artistic eye and that's why we struggle so, but I do love those scrappies...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I want to make a scrappy quilt but I'm having a problem. I always coordinate my fabrics on a regular quilt, so using scraps are hard for me because they don't all go together. How do I get past this? I read somewhere to cut all my lights and darks - then put them in a bag (1 bag with lights and 1 bag with darks) then pull out 1 from each bag and sew it together. Is that pretty much how it works? I can use all the help I can get on this please.
How big are your scraps?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 PM

My first several scrap quilts, regardless of pattern, all looked similar because the same pile of mixed scraps were being used. Later I boxed all my scraps by color families ~ red/pink, blues, greens, blacks/grays, purples, yellow/orange/browns, whites/beiges, etc. I began crazy piecing from the beige/white box, then I did the same from the blacks. In essence I created new fabric that I either cut in strips, squares or triangles to be used as needed. I've made many quilts and wall hangings just from those two boxes and my last effort was using the purples. My goal is to work my way through all the scrap boxes one color at a time eventually. The fabric is great as backgrounds or filler blocks for other projects.