Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scraps

I realize that I am probably asking the wrong group ;-) , but I have been reorganizing my sewing space and going through my fabric stash and was wondering: when is a scrap of fabric considered too small? Apparently I have kept everything over the years and now have some scraps that literally are 1-1/2" square! Just looking for some opinions on guidelines.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When the scraps are too small for you, you can either use them for stuffing or send them to someone who makes minis.

DH uses 5/8" squares in his tiny piece quilts.

Power Poster
    Believe it or not there are people on this board that are making quilts with 1 1/2 in. squares.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I cut scraps as I go most of the time and keep them organized. I'm planning a jelly roll quilt and a scrap flying geese quilt, so ---- a. one 2 1/2" strip and b. one 5 3/4 squares for speed piece geese and c.) no more than four 3 x 5 bricks for geese. I try really hard to throw things smaller than this away, but I've found a little container to save them. Can't seem to through away even bits.

Keep itsy-bitsies for "crumb quilts". They are so fun to make. With the cost of fabric going up, I want to get my money's worth!

Blog Entries
    After seeing collage quilts, I am trying to save every teeny, tiny to make one. They are fascinating and beautiful wallhangings.

I save everything that's larger than 1". I used to toss it, but I have a friend who is trying to get me more interested in scrap quilting. I may try it someday; if not, I'll donate my scraps to her - she uses them all!

Banned
    i toss all those small pieces in a box to use in my class "Skinny Strips and Little Bitty Pieces" They are great for string quilts. I will have them close buy and when I want a break will do a block or tao.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    1 in HST is the smallest I keep. Anything smaller goes to a friend who uses it for stuffing and itty bitty scrap quilts

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast