Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps... >

Scraps...

Scraps...

Old 07-28-2016, 04:21 PM

I deal with my scraps by deciding that anything fat quarter or larger sized doesn't count as a scrap so that gets put back with yardage or fat quarters. Anything smaller than a fat quarter that is an irregular shape gets cut into the largest sized "precut" I can get out of it. I have a drawer unit that I store my precuts in.

Anything smaller than 2" gets used in string quilts or crumb quilts. I have a shoebox that holds those and when it gets to the point that the lid doesn't shut then I pull them out and spend time just sewing them together. That's also a fun thing to do when I feel like doing some "mindless" sewing.

Since I'm one of those folks who likes to have multiple projects going at once I usually have a crumb quilt, string quilt, scrappy quilt and/or improvisational quilt going at the same time that I'm working on something more structured. I also use scraps to make test blocks... My test blocks get stored with orphan blocks which usually end up getting used on quilt backs, or put together as a sampler quilt---all of which means that I manage to stay in control of my scrap heap, but seem to always have a huge number of UFOs.....

Rob<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Rob..I do the same thing, but keep my larger scraps (less than a FQ) sorted by color as I make minis and like to have small chunks on hand. I seem to have plenty in the sized bins, I don't need to create more. I have developed the habit of trimming my backing trimmings to size rather than throwing into a string bin..

12 yo DGD has selected her next quilt... word play quilt with a black back ground...she's going to use my bright scraps to make her letters...I think she's itching to start later in August when I have time..
Old 07-28-2016, 06:42 PM

I have been unpacking boxes from my move 2 years ago and I am finding many more boxes scraps than I remember packing --obviously I mixed up the males and females and they multiplied like bunnies.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:32 PM

I don't. I have been cutting 1.5", 2" and 2.5" strips this year, and thought I was mostly caught up from 3 years of neglecting my scraps. Then, my sister just came over in July, and she sorted out a lot of fabric. I now have a rather large box and a very large trash bag filled to the top to cut into strips. I'll be working on that in August.

Scraps are a challenge..that is for sure. Here is a top I recently finished which I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I wish I could say the same about every scrappy quilt I've ever made.

It used quite a few scraps which I cut into 2" strips and then made 16 patches from. I've named it Confetti.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554824[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3485-name-sm-very.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 02:25 AM

I love that confetti quilt...but looks quite daunting as far as piecing. I have been working on an Enders/leaders project in conjunction with my Gypsy Wife so I have been using up a few of my scraps... But will be looking for another scrappy project as soon as summer is over. Maybe Judy will have another mystery train coming up.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:31 AM

I have a big plastic tub, with a lid. When I'm putting scraps in, I check to see how much more room there is. Once it gets too full, I bag it all up and take it to the local food pantry. They will give it to any elderly-confined-to-home individuals and those individuals usually make quilts for the less fortunate. I'm blessed that my fabric is mating during the times I'm not in my sewing room. It just keeps expanding on my shelves!
Old 07-29-2016, 03:48 AM

It's hard. Yes, they must all be hippies that make love, not war, when they congregate. I'm thinking I should call my stockpile "Woodstock".

To kinda/sorta help diminish the scraps, I keep a ziplock bag on my cutting table. When it's full of scraps that need to go bye bye, I have a giveaway with a guessing game every 6-8 weeks right on this board. That finds a new home for some. You could fill a flat rate box and either offer it free for postage if you really want to get them out of the way without sorting.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:53 AM

I have bins of scraps and my theory is that they multiply and divide at night when I am sleeping. I have made several tops from the scraps. This week, I am donating a bin to the local thrift shop.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:29 AM

I know what you mean. I did the same thing. I also keep dragging home scraps from my quilt guild. Now I have tubs and tubs of them.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:39 AM

Mine have multiplied until I've gotten over 3 bins full and I keep saying I'm going to make string quilts for donation quilts, but I never quite get around to it. I really need to work on nothing but that!