Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by heyjami View Post
Ok, I think I'm now going to have to prioritize stash over scraps. I now how 2-3 tubs of paper piecing scraps that I couldn't part with. Time to part with them!

What do you do with your small scraps? Anything under 5" really should go.

I wish I could set them out near the end of the driveway and the magic scrap fairy will come and pick them up (promising to make all sorts of beautiful things out of them).
One thing I did not see listed for using up small scraps is a draft stopper. I made several years ago and used fiberfil for some and scraps for others. The fiberfil seems too light but the scrap ones are heavier and stay closer to the door to stop the drafts underneath. My Mom is still using two that I gave her.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

I was going to throw out my scraps too, and then I was making a blue jeans quilt. How boring! Blocks and blocks of different colors of blue. So I started sewing up my scraps, and making strips out of them. I changed the jeans blocks into snowballs, and used the scraps to make the corner triangles. Mind you, I had to use interfacing to make the scrap strips I used as strong as the jeans patches, but that was all right. Then I used the scrappy strips to make sashing for the blocks. The result was absolutely stunning. Lots of jeans surrounded by a riot of color, fabric, texture and prints. My niece loves it, and says her friends are "pea green with envy". (This from a kid who used to think all quilted items were horribly old fashioned!) Now my mind is all in ablaze with ideas of where else I could use scrappy strips!

If you really don't want to bother with them, and let's face it, not everyone does, please find a good home for them. There are lot's of people who would love to have them! You could advertise on this board: free scraps for the cost of postage only -- how about that?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:20 PM

I am interested too! If you have plenty and still need a home for them. I love to use scraps for all of the before mentioned posts. I don't know how to send a PM, so if you can send one to me that would be great.
Janet
Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Janet, you send a PM by clicking on the persons name above their avatar(Picture), it will take you there. Good lock, and have fun with the scraps. My mom and I are doing nothing but scrap quilts this year.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Go on over to: http://quiltville.blogspot.com/
and see what Bonnie Hunter does with all of her​ scraps. You'll be amazed, I promise you!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:42 PM

I am curious, what is a mile a minute quilt, I have lots of little scraps too that I can't seem to throw out
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
Send them my way !!!!! I LOVE scraps !!! Im actually working on my strip scraps right now... Whoo hoo.. for me its mindless work when i want to sew/quilt but dont want to follow directions for a pattern..
I love scraps, too, but I think they multiply overnight. I've made the 6 1/2 inch square blocks in the crumb block manner for a double bed and don't think my tub of scraps went down a bit. However, I'd still be overjoyed to receive someone else's scraps. A couple of years ago a neighbor brought me two sacks of fabric she didn't want. I told her that it was just like Christmas to a 6 year old.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM

I love scraps too. I keep thinking I am going to organize them in some way, but just never seem to get around to it. I like the idea of the strip scraps blocks. They could be made into charity quilts. I have lots of good ideas, but not enough time. Maybe have more time if I didn't spend so much time on the computer. Can't help it. All you ladies (and gents) have such good ideas I don't want to miss any of them.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Using scraps

I belong to a quilting group called Sew Sew Sisters in Meas Az. We make quilts for hospitals and homeless shelters. We cut the scraps into 4 1/2 in squares, then do disappearing nine patch. We are always looking for donations of fabrics of any size at least 4 1/2 inch. DaisyBlue
Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 AM

I posted photos on this link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t176598.html
I'll put together something to describe how I play with my scraps and work on getting them organized. Once they are in blocks I get such a feeling of satisfaction. When they are sitting in the scrap pile I get overwelmed.