Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrim...questions about >

Scrim...questions about

Scrim...questions about

Old 08-27-2016, 01:14 PM

Default Scrim...questions about

I bought a batting and after I got it home I noticed that it has a "scrim".
What it is?
What do I need to know about this?
Is there a certain way it needs to face?
Is it no big deal one way or the other?

Thanks, Watson
Old 08-27-2016, 02:25 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Scrim is fine mesh or web of (usually) poly that stabilizes the batting and allows you to quilt cotton batting further apart without fibers migrating and creating lumps in th batting with washing and use. The scrim also prevents the dreaded pokies that happen when the machine needle pushes part of the batting through the backing fabric. Scrim side usually goes against the backing fabric to stop the pokies.

Last edited by Krisb; 08-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:25 PM

I suppose it really depends on how you are quilting this...hand or machine. I hand quilt with W&N all the time. It has a scrim. Many folks find it undesirable to hand quilt but I have no issues. I also pay no attention as to which is the 'correct' way to place the batting. Although the general rule of thumb is 'bumpy on the bottom' (i.e, back of quilt). As I said, I pay little attention to that and have no issues hand quilting it.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:32 AM

On a long arm it is important to put the batting on right side up...because if you put it on right side down...it can ce more difficult for the needle to pierce through T the layers, causing bearding on the back...not all batt has scrim...WN batting does have a right side, which is the dirty side...back of the top should touch dirty side...
Old 08-28-2016, 06:47 AM

One other thing about scrim, which is in most batting I use and love for regular projects. Do not use it for any project that will go in the microwave (like Buddy Bowls or Potato Bags). Even if the batting says 100% cotton, the scrim is susceptible to causing a fire if heated at too high a temperature.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:13 AM

I agree with what the others have written. The scrim side is the more durable side. With bed quilts, it should face down. With wall quilts or tummy time quilts, many quilters prefer it to face up. The shiny side is the scrim.

Scrim also slightly reduces how much the quilt will crinkle. The quilt in my avatar has scrim & was quilted SID. It had been washed multiple times & not blocked prior to the photo. You can get more crinkling by quilting closer together & using curvy lines. It was my first quilt & now I know that quilting that far apart is not great even if your batting can take it. There is also the stress on the fabric & thread to consider. I don't ever have quilting lines farther apart than 2" for quilts that will be used and washed on a regular basis.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

I have scrim in my Hobbs 80/20 batting and it never has made a difference with my quilting on my old domestic Bernina. Scrim prevents batting from balling up into corners as it is washed over time. You can see that happening in older quilts. Like a bra, it keeps the batting stable and in in place!