Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: seam allowances for hst's

community benefactor BECOOLWRAPS's Avatar
    I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
    Thanks
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
    I am having some real trouble getting the 1/4" seam allowance needed for half square triangles - Does anyone have a hint or a tip which might help.
    Thanks
    Terry
    I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Quote Originally Posted by BECOOLWRAPS
    Thanks
    Terry
    I make the HST larger, and then trim to the precise size!
    AMEN sister!!! :thumbup:

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Terry, I just made a quilt completely out of HST. I have the June Tailor ruler and also starched the heck out of them. They came out fine. I use Mary Ellen's Best Press- that's great stuff- no residue.
    There is nothing better than Mary Ellen's Best Press! I water mine down with the same results as full strength and that makes it last a long time!!!

You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.

try putting your two squares right sides together- draw a diagonal line- corner to corner- stitch 1/4" on each side of the line- cut on the line= 2 perfect 1/2 square triangle blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by lovequilts
    You can also check out Triangles on a roll. I use this all the time and my HST turn out absoutly perfect. You can order on line and the rolls last a long time. Saves time in marking you sewing lines and very little waste. I also starch mine with Mary Ellen's.
    Thangles is a similar method ... and also you can get some copycat versions online that you can print for free.

I am glad to read this information as I am fixing to make a queen size quilt that is entirely half square triangles and I am a bit worried how it is going to come together. But I am still going to do it! :)

There is a method where you create a tube and use a triangle ruler to cut a bunch of them. I think it is a Missouri Star tutorial video.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast