Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seam allowances >

seam allowances

seam allowances

Old 10-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Hi everyone

Im making a table runner on my featherweight, and I dont have a 1/4 inch foot that fits (yet). But, I was wondering that if I sew the whole pattern using just the width of the normal presser foot, that it wont stuff the pattern up? What i mean is, it wont matter if I do the whole pattern with a 1/2 inch seam, or a bit under 1/4 inch seam, as long as they are all the same.

The only thing that it will do, is make the finished top either smaller or bigger? Have i got that right?

TIA :thumbup:
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

It depends on that pattern. If it has a lot of pieces it will effect the block.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:26 PM

its the Simply a Pleasure Table runner pattern, if thats any help
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

If the pattern has triangles, the tips may "float" rather than just meet. If it is OK with you it will be fine. If it is mainly squares, it will be a little bigger.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM

If you have any points in the pattern it can make a huge difference. Best to measure 1/4 inch from needle and mark it on your plate with painters tape or other tape that doesn't leave residue. Enjoy your project!
Old 10-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by tweetee
Hi everyone

Im making a table runner on my featherweight, and I dont have a 1/4 inch foot that fits (yet). But, I was wondering that if I sew the whole pattern using just the width of the normal presser foot, that it wont stuff the pattern up? What i mean is, it wont matter if I do the whole pattern with a 1/2 inch seam, or a bit under 1/4 inch seam, as long as they are all the same.

The only thing that it will do, is make the finished top either smaller or bigger? Have i got that right?

I'd say smaller. But why not take several post-it notes (thick enough to guide your fabric) & place them 1/4 inch from the needle. Then they will help guide your fabric. Good luck & happy quilting!

TIA :thumbup:
Old 10-01-2010, 06:32 PM

awesome horse, by the way! do try the sticky notes.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
If you have any points in the pattern it can make a huge difference. Best to measure 1/4 inch from needle and mark it on your plate with painters tape or other tape that doesn't leave residue. Enjoy your project!
Oh thats a great idea, I never thought of that!!!

Thanks so much for all your responses, Ill be sure to post a pic when its done! :-) :-D
Old 10-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

It definitely will make a difference. About the only design you can do by changing the seam allowance size is one of squares and perhaps rectangles. All other 1/4" seam allowance or the pieces won't fit.
Mark your throat plate with tape to get the 1/4" seam.
Accuracy is important.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Power Poster

you do not need a special foot to sew a 1/4" seam, lots of people never break down and buy a 1/4" foot. remove the foot from your machine, put the needle in the down position, measure from the needle 1/4" and make a little mark; run a piece of tape along the mark giving you a 1/4" guide line to follow. (some people use something fairly thick like a piece of moleskin as a guide. i have been using this method for 10 years. i have read so many posts of ... my 1/4" foot is wrong....well, instead of depending on a tool that may or may not be correct making your own guide you know it's right :)
if you choose to use a larger seam allowance you really need to go through your pattern and 'do the math' to adjust every piece. it only takes 4 seams for you to be off a whole inch if you sew 1/2" instead of 1/4" it adds up fast. better to find your 1/4".