Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seam open - how do I repair this, please? >

seam open - how do I repair this, please?

seam open - how do I repair this, please?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:57 AM

Default seam open - how do I repair this, please?

I'm just about to bind a baby quilt and have discovered that a seam between 2 borders has come adrift. It's only about 1in, so fiddly to deal with. What's the best way to repair it? Of course whatever I do will have to be sturdy as the quilt is likely to be washed frequently.
This has been one of those projects on which everything that could go wrong has! I'll be so glad to finish it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]442255[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails baby-quilt-resize.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

​The invisible ladder stitch is a good way if it is just the thread missing. If you do it the same stitch length as regular machine sewing, it is just as strong.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 AM

It's rather hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the seam allowance is either very small or non-existent. Is there a seam allowance? If so, I second Tartan's recommendation of the latter stitch.

However, if there's not much of a seam allowance there, you might want to insert a scrap underneath the opening, and some fusible web. Pull the edges together over the scrap and fusible as much as possible, then fuse it, then do a zigzag stitch over all the seams and raw edges.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by Peckish; 10-20-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 AM

stitch witchery may work to keep it together and from raveling. Or applique over it!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I would also see if I could tease a small piece of fusible under the opening.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:26 AM

From the picture it looks like the fabric is frayed. If so, you may want to applique over it or else replace the piece. There doesn't look like enough of a seam would be present to securely stitch it in place.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM
amh

Form the photo it looks as though you have no fabric to work with.

I would go to the fabric store and look for iron on applique, and put it on. An example would be: a bee hive on the larger flaw, and then little bees buzzing around on the quilt.

Don't just put one thing on, put several so it will look like you planned it that way.

Yes, I've done this. Mine was a small flaw so I put lady bugs of different sizes all over the quilt (probably about 12). They fit into the quilt and it's amazing how many people are amazed that I thought to embellish it to fit the theme. Yeah right -- I'm not telling them the "real" truth.

amh
Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Good ideas, Aileen. Instead of purchasing appliques, I have fussy cut pieces out of one of the fabrics in the quilt. When I stitched the fussy cuts down, I did the fusible interfacing on the back, cut out the middle, and when I appliqued it down I stitched through all layers making the attaching part of the quilting. Looked great and no one was the wiser.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Thankyou all for these suggestions. No, there isn't much (or any) seam allowance. Some ingenuity is going to be needed! Having done the quilting, I really don't want to have to undo more than necessary, but as it's a baby quilt, it has to be a robust repair. I'm going to look at all your ideas and see what I can do...
Old 10-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
Good ideas, Aileen. Instead of purchasing appliques, I have fussy cut pieces out of one of the fabrics in the quilt. When I stitched the fussy cuts down, I did the fusible interfacing on the back, cut out the middle, and when I appliqued it down I stitched through all layers making the attaching part of the quilting. Looked great and no one was the wiser.
I have done this too and it looked great.