Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam Rippers >

Seam Rippers

Seam Rippers

Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Default Seam Rippers

Anyone know how many types/brands of seam rippers are out there? Which ones rip/cut better than others!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM

I've used the little cheapo Dritz seam ripper for years & really like it. I've tried others & always go back to the Dritz. I have RA & my hands do not work well. The ergonomic ones I've tried are difficult for me to use.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I have every brand and some not brands. LOL I like the new surgical blade seam ripper. It's zips through a seam, no picking and cutting single threads. Just be sure and get the blade that has a handle, they are hard to hold without one. Clover regular seam ripper is usually my choice to buy when I find a sale. I discovered that if you buy the hard cushioned handle ripper like Fons and Porter, the handle will quickly remove the cut threads from the seam. I didn't believe it until I tried it. I noticed Walmart has the Dritz ergonomic seam rippers now. Pretty colors too. I woudn't waste my money on the $1 rippers, they aren't sharp enough, you have to tug on the thread to cut it. Many think that is how a ripper is suppose to cut!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My preferred seam ripper is from Clover, the Japanese brand....they make such marvelous sewing tools. This ripper, either the round white handled one or the flat brown handled one (cheaper but with the same point and sharpness) has a small, sharp point that fits easily under stitches and a very sharp ripper section. When mine is new, I use it directly along the seam line, between the two layers, and it takes those stitches out like butter. It's great for releasing stitch-by-stitch as well.

Seam rippers are a relatively inexpensive, necessary tool that should be replaced often -- like blades and needles -- for best results and fatigue relief. I buy them several at a time from Joanne's and LQS when I travel.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails clover-seam-ripper.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 09:37 AM

I hear there's one called a "tinkle" - anyone know about this?
Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I have several different kinds, but the one I go to the most is a simple box cutter blade.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I like the skinny pointed nail manicure scissors.

Truth be told though - I usually use the first one I can find!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I dont like the ergonomic ones- too bulky for me to handle..
I love the Clover- the brown handle one- usually my go to one first; that is if i can find where I last put it down..
then my next go to is the /white handled Clover one..
Ive got a lot of 'Jacks', most ive hated for some reason or another but my clovers I use them the most often..
Ive got the Ginger 'blade' ones but in all honesty it scares me.. Someone is bound to get wounded with that weapon..
Dritz has always been 'dull' when ive gotten them; could of been a bad batch perhaps.. Ive got the 2 ergo's and the chunky flat one with a bigger tip.. too big IMHO..
I have the singer ones you can get at walmart, but again didnt work to well, not sharp enough as my clovers..
If i see a new one to me ill pick it up if its under 10 bucks just to try it out..
If its at Joannes Ill pick up with a 50% off coupon if its over 5 bucks....
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM

I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Havels-Snip-Ez...6674278&sr=8-3 I never have to worry about them getting dull and slipping and ripping a hole in my work. The point is tiny and will snip the tiniest of stitches.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM

I use the Clover pictured in Jan's post. It's the most comfortable fit I've found. I hate the rippers that come with sewing machines - the one with the cap. If you don't put the cap on the other end of the handle, the handle is too short to hold, and if you do put the cap on the handle it will eventually pop off in your hand while you're ripping. What a pain. The Clover is a good length and width and the business end is sharp and pointy enough to get stubborn small 60wt threads out. As much as you can "enjoy" a seam ripper - I like this one.

If I have to rip an extra long seam though - like a long border (I shudder to think about it again), I'll use a razor blade. (When I learned to sew as a kid my seam ripper WAS a razor blade). You hold the fabric in your left hand (if you are right handed) with one piece in between my first and second finger (each finger on either side), and the other piece of fabric held in between my thumb on one side pressed against my ring and little finger. I can then hold the two pieces of fabric separated and "pull" them apart while I slice through the stitches with my razor blade and "walk" my fingers down the fabric. I've even known people to hold one piece of fabric with their toes and the other with their left hand and razor blade down the fabric with their right hand.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-01-2014 at 03:16 AM. Reason: language