Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams: Press Open or to the Side? >

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Old 09-20-2014, 07:19 PM

For me, it depends wholly and completely on the situation and the quilt. If I need the seams to match, usually I press to one side so they nest. However, several months ago I was commissioned to make a quilt, "Night Sky" by Jaybird Quilts. Because it was a commercial pattern and I was making it for a customer, I followed the directions exactly, which said to press seams open. I was glad I did, because there were several seams coming together in one spot and it would have been a nightmare if I'd pressed to the side.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by HomekeepingGran View Post
I am seeing instructions both to press seams open and also to press to the side. I'm most familiar with pressing them open, but perhaps there are advantages to pressing to the side that I don't know about. I'm pretty certain consensus will be divided, but please, tell me which way you do it and why.

Thanks,
Carla

Pressed open is neater looking IMO, but pressed to the side gives more stability.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
For me, it depends wholly and completely on the situation and the quilt. If I need the seams to match, usually I press to one side so they nest. However, several months ago I was commissioned to make a quilt, "Night Sky" by Jaybird Quilts. Because it was a commercial pattern and I was making it for a customer, I followed the directions exactly, which said to press seams open. I was glad I did, because there were several seams coming together in one spot and it would have been a nightmare if I'd pressed to the side.
And that is why God made rubber mallets. (to hammer down thick seams)
Old 09-20-2014, 08:08 PM

Most of the time I press to 1 side(darker). But, I have had a couple of quilts that I had to repress a seam in order to nest.
I have a quick panel quilt I started today out of flannel & am trying pressing open seams so I have a smoother top for quilting. It will depend on the project how you press. Neither 1 is the 'only' way.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:20 PM

You should not press seams open if you've hand pieced, or if you want to stitch in the ditch. If machine piecing, it isn't necessary to press to the side, but you may still want to, depending on the quilt design. I do both, depending on the quilt.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:36 PM

I usually press to the side. I tried open once and just felt hinky about it the whole time. For certain seams, like if a lot of seams meet in one place or something, I will press open to reduce the bulk.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:44 AM

Looks as if the majority press to the side. I know that traditionally quilts do press to the side but as I said I am seeing even top-notch quilting instructors tell you to press open. As in knitting and crochet, there are no Quilting Police (well, unless you send it to the State Fair or something) but I was curious how it is going with modern quilters who are in the forefront of today's quilting. I have already pressed to the side on my top and probably won't be changing it now. I do wonder, however, if the small ¼" seam has something to do with the mandate to press to the side. It's not impossible but is difficult to open a seam that small, whereas in dressmaking it's very easy to open a 5/8" seam. Perhaps it began very practically.

Thank you, all who have answered. I am impressed with how kind this board is to a newbie like me and also with how fast-moving it is. I feel as though I can actually get questions answered here.

~ Carla ~
Old 09-21-2014, 02:57 AM

Press open for flatness unless I plan on custom quilting it. Then SID may be needed so I press to side. A couple of pieces of quarter round glued together with flattest side up make a great pressing board when pressing seams open. Place under quilt. Keeps seam elevated so you don't mess up rest of quilt when pressing.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:02 AM

I have only ever stitched in the ditch through open seams. I'm sure that's not what I will do with this quilt top I have finished (SID, I mean) but it would be interesting to try it to see how I like it.

~ Carla ~
Old 09-21-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
You should not press seams open if you've hand pieced, or if you want to stitch in the ditch. If machine piecing, it isn't necessary to press to the side, but you may still want to, depending on the quilt design. I do both, depending on the quilt.
Open seams: could cause batting to beard thru; if quilted right on that joining thread could split that thread and weaken seam; and rubber mallet on those seams could break down the fibers and cause weaken weave....

All the above are COULDs....we make our own choice as to what works for us......

I, personally iron to side, nest as joining, "Spin" those multiple joins and recently found the clapper helps to make those bulky seams flatter, but that's my choice too.