Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seams: Press Open or to the Side? >

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Seams: Press Open or to the Side?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:38 AM

There are times when it is necessary to press open to get a block to lie flat, but rarely. Pressing to the side makes for a much sturdier block/quilt. If you consider this, with seams pressed open the only thing standing between it and life is a row of stitches. make sense?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:43 AM

often I do not plan my block layout until they are all finished, so if I pressed to the side, there is a problem with the seams nesting, if they are pressed open, they fit no matter where I lay the block.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 AM

Why limit yourself. Open or to the side or wiggly wampus....do what works for you and what you are making. Who cares what is "right". Do what works.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 AM

I hate open seams. But on a recent quilt I had 6 seams coming together when I joined the blocks, a fine lump in each intersection. I have heard of others using a rubber mallet to flatten the lumps. I think I'll leave them, it's consistent. But, if I ever make the pattern again, I'll open the seams.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM

To the side for me. I always worry about a few stitches in the seam coming loose. If it's to the side you won't see batting! And I agree, it helps with the nesting of the seams.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Depends what mood I'm in, or what kind of piecing I'm pressing, or what color socks I'm wearing, or any number of things. I don't play by the rules most of the time. On those occasions when I do play by the rules, I'm usually following someone else's pattern, and following their pressing instructions.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
Since I am self taught, I have always put them to one side or the other. I feel it is a stronger seam that way, but my sister sometimes puts them open, as they lie (lay) flatter. Whatever works best for you.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
I agree as it depends on how thick the material is as to whether I press to one side or I press it open. Try both and see what you like best !
Old 09-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Since I began quilting, there has always been a little controversy about pressing seams to one side or open. In watching several quilting teachers over the years, the answer seemed to be consistent: press the seams open or to one side, depending on the best way to make the block. I may not be explaining myself, but if you have a lot of seams coming together, pressing seams open will definitely reduce bulk and make for a better looking block.