Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
seasoned quilters ? re: too many projects? >

seasoned quilters ? re: too many projects?

seasoned quilters ? re: too many projects?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:51 PM

O.K. I am a die hard scrapbooker BUT, I decided to make a few quilts. One because I LOVE to sew, Two, I NEED some blankets. But hey I can already see I could EASILY get way out of hand with this new found hobby. I AM NOT GOING TO ALLOW MYSELF TO DO THIS!!!! So, do an of you have some self-made rules that keep you in line??

Like, I have one friend who only lets herself do 3 projects i various stages at one time.

I have made a list of a few things I REALLY want. I want a quilt for my car. I want a queen western quilt for the boys room. I want some table cloths. i do NOT want a bunch of lap quilts - for me - how many can a person use??? so any input is much appreciated......
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 PM

The main rule I have for myself is to do one project at a time from start to finish. Before quilting, I use to crochet all the time. I had several projects going at once, and I don't want to do that with quilting. So far I have stuck with that rule. I also try to always buy on sale and clearance fabric. Helps keep the cost down....so far so good.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:37 PM

This is a good plan. My quilt room is a disaster from having too many projects "in process". Some may never get finished.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:09 PM

I try to only have one going as the "stuff" from them will get out of hand. I have found if I have two or more going , the least favorite never gets finished.... as the one I like best is the one I will want to work on.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I keep several projects going-but in different stages of progress. Do I want to cut fabric, or piece, or draw patterns, or quilt on the long arm? Helps me!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:14 PM

i typically have 3 projects going at once.

one is piecing a quilt top, one is on the quilting frame for quilting, and one is a handbag or other small project that is completed in 1-3 days.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:15 PM

I ' m probably not the oone to be answering this because I have 2 baskets & a shelf of ufos.

My ufos are all from ideas I had that did not work out as I anticipated, or classes I took & did not finish there soo it went on the pile.

So rule #1,,, finish what you start. If you start my bad habit, they will never get finished.

Rule#2, allow yourself enough time to complete a quilt. Many of my ufos are because at the last minute I decided to make a gift too close to the due date, missed the cutoff,, & onn the pile it went.

Rule #3 , if you do start aa ufo pile, review it periodically. Sometimes there is one in there that can be repurposed.

Rule#4, keep fabrics together for a quilt. I have quilts I started, accidentally used some of the fabric in another quilt because I had put it back in my stash shelf. Now if I wanted to finish the quilt, I either have to change the look with substitutions or make something else.

These are the rules I would now follow if starting out, but as an old dog is, i' m too old to retrain. Old habits are hard to break.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 PM

I have 3 going right now; however, I have 4 sets of blocks waiting for me to decide what to do with them. I like the variety of being able to pick up something different to work on.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM
bj

I'm a start to finish quilter. I do have a box with some blocks from a swap that aren't assembled into a quilt and I have an ongoing BOM box of blocks I've made just for fun in between projects. It makes me too nervous to have stuff lying around undone. Plus, I don't have a lot of storage in my little sewing corner and I won't let it escape into the rest of the house.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

it depends on your personality. i like change. i do not like anything to remain the same - for the most part anyway. so i prefer to have a few projects going at once. depending on my mood is what i work on. many times i will be working on a project and get another idea for a new project. sometimes i start it and sometimes i say, okay as soon as you finish this one you can start another one! this year i have been finishing many ufos and i'm feeling really good about it. the best way to do things is what feels best for you!