Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns >

Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns

Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns

Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM

Default Seeking advice on fabric choices/patterns

Last weekend my daughter and I visited a fabric shop near her home. She chose the fabrics she likes, I added a couple more. As I usually pick the pattern and then the fabric, I'm unsure what pattern would make the best use of these fabrics. She wants the orange/mint/gray patterned fabric to be dominant. I have two directional prints in the palette, which I've tried to avoid in the past, so not sure if I should let that fact dictate my pattern choice or go with a more scrappy look. She likes blocks on point with sashing and cornerstones, but also likes a modern look.

Thank you all for your insights.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]515424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 AM
RST

I would go for a modern style, with big blocks of the dominant fabrics and use the orange and gray as sashing. TO be honest, I'd delete the tiny dot fabric-- it doesn't really add anything to the others, and the color is off-- though that may be photo. If you feel the need to add another color, can you pick up what looks like a dark burgundy with gray tones in the print? Or add a grunge gray to go with the other grunge fabric.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Someone posted pictures of their black and white quilts done with strips pieced and cut into equalateral triangles. I think this might be a pattern to try with the Orange/mint/brown pattern, the solid Orange and the solid brown? It had a kind of 3D effect in rows and looked modern.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:18 AM

There is a pattern called It's Good to be Square that I just saw somewhere. I haven't made it, but it looks easy.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Here is one pattern that I believe would work well with your large scale geometric (directional) prints:http://www.redroosterquilts.com/shop...quilt-pattern/
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I just finished a D9P but I set it on point. Nor sure it would work or not. I used soft pastel prints.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:36 PM
Power Poster

for a modern look, you could do zig-zags.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
TO be honest, I'd delete the tiny dot fabric-- it doesn't really add anything to the others, and the color is off-- though that may be photo.
I agree. Even if it matches, it may not stand up well in that particular mix.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-01-2015, 07:12 AM

Thank you all for responding. I agree about the tiny dot fabric. I think I need one or two more fabrics, so I'll be making a trip to my LQS (again!). Tartan, I am searching for the black and white quilt you mentioned. I found one, but apparently the pattern is no longer available. I'm such a weenie - never made anything without a pattern. Yngldy, I have the Good to be Square pattern. I made it in batiks and it turned out great, so that's a possibility. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

The black and white quilt I was thinking of the pattern is no longer available but it looks simple enough to do without a pattern. It is the one titled Black and White Quilt and was posted by juliea9967. I used the advanced search under the title. It looks like it is made with 5 strips and then cut into the triangle but you could do 3 instead.

Last edited by Tartan; 04-01-2015 at 08:06 AM.