Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling at Christmas Bazaar >

Selling at Christmas Bazaar

Selling at Christmas Bazaar

Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by olebat View Post
Lots of great ideas here. One of the things which attracts me is the quality of the display, and the manner in which the items are tagged, the attitude of the vendor, and their appearance. Make the booth look festive, have cute signs telling what the item is, a price, and a sample of it in use. (Things like the use of sticky dots looks like a yard sale or flea market, not a bizarre.) Dress nicely, and avoid the bored look. Use pretty decorated baskets or boxes instead of plastic bins, a simple table cloth which does not distract from the items being offered, and avoid strong scents and perfumes. No music, but soft nature sounds are usually OK. Pay attention to your potential customers rather than having chats with your assistant or neighboring vendor. Borrow a little old crib to use to display baby items, or hang bibs from a high chair. Go vertical as much as you can so your items can be seen from a distance, and over the heads of people passing by or standing around. Old window shutters make great displays, and can be had for a song at places like Habitat for Humanity. Have an assortment of attractive bags for the items sold. White paper sandwich bags with a cute rubber stamp is far better than the crumpled plastic bag from the food store. Be festive and creative in the display, have an assortment of items, and a genuine pleasant attitude, a gift assortment, and pretty wrapping or bags in which to put the purchases. With proper preparation and confidence you should be fine. However, as many have said, these fairs have mood swings. Don't be despaired if you don't do well. Try again at a different location. By all means, (for any of you) post a photo of your booth, and share what seemed to go well, and what, if anything was a total flop.
Agreed, presentation is everything! I would add, don't act desperate! I have seen that many times. I feel for people at these craft sells. I try to make a legimate effort to pay attention to everyone's booth as I mosy thru. Look for something diffrent to have at your booth, so many things are the same, set your booth apart from the norm. I think just enjoy the time and your experience, relax, and learn and watch. I have no intention to of doing a craft shop, but I do enjoy going to them when I have the opportunity. I can certainly tell when the crafters feel desperation, not good for buyer or seller.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
I don't think so, doesn't it have some kind of metal inside of it? I wouldn't take the chance.
No, everything must be 100 cotton including the thread.