Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling Items >

Selling Items

Selling Items

Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 AM

Default Selling Items

I have been reading all the threads on selling our items and craft fairs etc. I was really hoping to use my stash up and make some money to buy new fabric etc. it would seem that I may get disappointed by having this idea.

Then I thought about all the quilters out there that have huge stashes out there do you care if you never use it up? While I don't mine to give my quilts and other things as gifts or give away I don't think I will ever use it up and I can't justify buying more.

Don't even know what I am asking because I am really confused now as to what to do about it. I didn't care about making ____$ just wanted to get something for my fabric. I am also thinking that a person should maybe not have a stash. Do you just give away so that you can continue to quilt?

Sorry for rambling.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

If you just want to get back the cost of the fabric, see if there are any craft sales, church bazaars or similar in your area. You will probably have to pay a fee for a table but you might be able to sell items. I do a craft sale with a low table fee and keep my items small. I have trouble selling quilts but I usually can sell enough smaller things to cover my table and make a little profit.
I will never get rich but I am using up my stash and make enough to get back the cost of my material. This lets me continue to enjoy my hobby and disburse already constructed items.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM

I continue to quilt no matter what -- I do give away my quilts to family and I keep a lot myself. It doesn't matter what I end up doing with them -- piecing and quilting is soothing to me. It keeps me busy and I feel productive when I finish a piece. I like to try new techniques and experiment with color combinations. And I will probably never use up all my stash but that is ok!! One can always just buy fabric for a specific quilt if you don't want to have a stash.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 AM

Some ladies at my guild bring the fabric---NOT made up stuff--to the guild to sell. They give a percentage to the guild. Last one priced all her fabric at $3 a yard. As long as you can stand the hit you will take on this you could also sell fabric here I believe.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 PM

There is a Yahoo group - Sew It's For Sale - people sell everything sewing related on there - fabric, patterns, books, magazines, software, machines - I mean everything!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:52 PM

My babies school does a boutique once a year, and it was proposed to have a table of things made by people who were involved in the school to help keep table cost down. I thought it was a neat idea
Old 01-22-2014, 04:41 PM

I find it is good to have a stash, but I need to keep it under control. I do lots of sewing for charity, but I also try to keep my stash fresh (or at least appealing to me). I give away fabric or trade with sewing friends. It would be wonderful to have a warehouse to keep a lot of fabric in, but it is just not possible for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM

I have been doing craft/art shows for a long time. Pick your show carefully. Low table fees don't necessarily mean you make more profit... it may mean they have trouble getting crafters because the attendance is low and no one wants to come back and sell again. Pick a well attended show one that has been around for many years that has a good following of customers. Juried shows ( one you have to submit work samples) are nothing to be afraid of... it means the organizer can be picky as to who gets a table because all the crafters heard its a good show to sell.

Give it a try just do a bit of research ahead .. FYI the big( most successful) fall shows are putting out their applications now.
Maybe find a buddy to split a table .
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM

Juried shows are the way to go. Don't be afraid to send them pictures. You can ask for the pictures back. This keeps the show really nice. Remember it is a craft and art show, not a crap show. I totally agree with all Lori S said. Good luck
Old 01-24-2014, 06:05 AM

A creative idea from our LQS is that they are having a "garage" sale inside their shop. They are allowing people to rent a table for a set $ amount and bring in whatever they want to sell that is fabric/quilt related. Wonder if your LQS would do something that? Personally, I am trying to use up my stash and what I can't use, I'll take to my guild where there's a table of "cast offs" that folks can pick up and take home. It doesn't bother me to send the fabric elsewhere to be used, and it makes me pay more attention about NOT buying fabric. :-) I do not want to make items to sell, but know others do that and enjoy it.

Last edited by coopah; 01-24-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: added sentence