Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling quilting mdse >

Selling quilting mdse

Selling quilting mdse

Old 05-11-2012, 04:09 PM

Default Selling quilting mdse

I talked with a man who unfortunately lost his wife after a 3 year illness. He has a BUNCH of quilting stuff of hers that he wants to sell. Batting, bolts of fabric, squares already cut out, quilt tops, janome machine, thread, and lots of other stuff. My dilema is, I have never had the opportunity to purchase this type of stuff from anyone like this. What kind of prices do I offer? I know there are probably a lot of variables depending on condition, size of quilt tops, etc. But I would really appreciate any advice on this. She was only in her 40's or 50's when she passed. So sad.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 PM

thats a hard one i think you would have to look at it first. if you posted pictures we might be able to advise you better
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

With the exception of the sewing machine, typically quilting stuff like this does not sell for much on Craigslist and other places. I've clicked on quite a few posts here on the board where someone has run into a situation like this and come home with everything (except the machine) for $100 or $150 or so (which I think would be more reasonable if there are quilt tops). Doesn't sound like much for a quilter's stash, does it? But most people don't know what to do with a stash.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 PM

In order to be prepared, have in your own mind what you are looking for and what you would be comfortable paying. Also, understanding where the seller is coming from will help you -- Does he need money? Is he ready to just clear things out and wants her items to be used? Is he actually ready to part with her things?

In a situation like this it is helpful to find out early in your shopping/negotiating process what price the seller has in mind. It is very awkward to be in someone's home looking at things for sale and find out either that the price is much higher than you had in mind and/or the quality or selection of the items is not what you want. I usually ask at the beginning how they are selling the fabric -- by the yard, bolt, box, etc. and than ask them to give you an idea of approximately how much they want per yard, etc. If it is within reason to you, then you can start making selections and settle on specific pricing as you go.

If you find there are a large number of items that you want, then try to agree on a "lot" price for all of it.

Above all, all keep forefront in your mind that this is a sensitive situation where a man is selling things that were dear to someone he loved. You will have many opportunities to acknowledge to him your understanding of his feelings and your appreciation of him allowing you to be there going through the things and purchasing them. You can easily make positive statements about the woman's taste, quality of materials, colors, etc.

This is an opportunity to be a win/win situation. You are in a position to help this man in his grief journey.

Dayle
Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

I've told my kids that there is value in my stuff - IF they are willing to put some time and effort into selling it.

On the other hand, if they just want to get it gone - well, that's up to them when the time comes.

I have asked them, though, to please, please, please, not dump it in the trash.

A lot of people have 'scored' - did they pay a 'fair price'?

If the seller is happy with what he/she received, I guess that's good enough.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Thank you all very much for the great advice. I now have an idea. Can't wait to go check it out.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Let this be a reminder to all of us! Let our loved ones know how we want our "stuff" disposed of once we're gone to our reward.

I'm sure most of us would turn over in our graves if it was tossed in the trash!

Agree with the advice to ask how this man wants to sell the quilting stuff. Poor fellow probably has no idea of it's worth, so be as fair as you can.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 PM

sustraley i have been to few sales like this. at one the husband and new wife were offering yardage at $.50/yd. after so much measruing i started offering lump sum pricing for stuff which she glady accepted. the next sale the woman offered brown bags at $10.00 each with whatever you could fill it up with. and at still another sale the fabrics were priced from $.50/yd to $5/yd all top quality stuff.

i prefer lujmp sum pricing or bulk pricing when i go to a sale like that instead of piecemeal pricing. good luck with your shopping trip.

here is a picture of the last fabric sale i was at. this was a family uniform business and they were clearing out extra bolts of fabric $.50/-$5/yd, everything from cottons to velvets to brocades to ultrasuedes. at the end of the day of selling they had a wholesaler come pick all the rest of it up. i ended up paying for 20 yards ($20) but got much more than that plus about 3 yrds of brocades for $1.50. btw this was only half of the fabric in the garage. i couldnt photo it all.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334724[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 AM

If you are going to use the fabric for charity quilts, let him know. It may make him feel better about where his late wife's stuff is going.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 AM

Just quote him a reasonable price. He has no clue of its worth but whatever you feel comfortable giving him. I purchased a lot of stuff from a widow of my church. Got a sewing machine, a serger, a u shaped desk, a chair with lift up seat, lots of notions, sewing cabinet with contents, fabrics, & I won't have to buy thread for a very, very long time (on the big spools), rulers & templates. Later sold the desk (didn't fit, not enough room at edge of sewing machine) & the serger (which I have never used).