Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selling Quilts Online Ex: Ebay & Etsy

I love, love, love making quilts. I have made so many that my family doesn't need them all. I have given a lot of quilts as gifts, and kept alot for myself. I'm sure lots of you on the QB can relate. I was just wondering have any of you sold your completed quilts online? And what are the pros and cons of selling on Ebay and Etsy?

Blog Entries
    I've had pretty good luck on Ebay, but dont let some of the prices scare you. I've been able to even sell tops!

Blog Entries
    I've checked prices at times but they aren't that high. Ibaillie what do yours go for? I wouldn't sell any quilt for less than $100 starting price will all that goes into them...

Quote Originally Posted by LindaR
    I've checked prices at times but they aren't that high. Ibaillie what do yours go for? I wouldn't sell any quilt for less than $100 starting price will all that goes into them...
    My prices would start at about $60 for baby quilts and go up to around $250 for King Size quilts. If selling on ebay I'd be asking just a little more than I normally would due to the high selling fees.

I don't sell quilts but I do sell bags on etsy. Just know that there are A LOT of people that are selling the exact same stuff. so its all a matter of IF people can find your stuff amongst everyone else's. Its fun and addicting lol.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I've sold things on Ebay (not quilts) and the seller fees are really high. However, the exposure may be higher than Etsy.

I bought antique quilts on Ebay but would never sell any at this point b/c of the fees and the economy.
    At one time I really went overboard buying them and now wish I could sell but I'm waiting for the economy to recover.
    Hope this isn't too far from your original question!! :)
    I've just seen a diminished market on Ebay over the last 8 years. JMO

Blog Entries
    I agree about the slowdown on eBay, and not just with quilts.

everything seems slow these days.

On Etsy, there is a lot you can do to market your shop and they have their own community of shop owners with forums and a lot of info on how to improve sales. The Admin also has newsletters, full of info on how to maximize sales. The fees are very reasonable (there's a calculator here http://www.rolbe.com/etsy.htm so you can figure what your profit will be).

You can also look at Artfire ( http://www.artfire.com/ ) and Big Cartel ( http://bigcartel.com/ ). Others are 1000 Markets and Artful Home. Etsy is the best by far and their community gives them a serious advantage over the others. My 2

I would sell on etsy over ebay because I think those that find etsy are craft lovers and understand the value of handcrafted...much more so that those that shop ebay looking for a steal.

I sold a different handcrafted product (scrapbook paper piecings out of paper) on eBay about 6+ years ago and I do agree their system is different now. Not so small seller friendly....And a lot of large sellers realized that it was a good marketplace and kind of seemed to takeover.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast