Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling quilts, tote bags, pocket books, pillow covers and more >

Selling quilts, tote bags, pocket books, pillow covers and more

Selling quilts, tote bags, pocket books, pillow covers and more

Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM

Hi ... I wanted to ask this board because you are all so very informative and are so good about helping everyone out. The question I have is if I use patterns from magazines or bought at LQS's, library books just about anywhere, can you tell me if it is ok to make the items such as a quilts, tote bags, pocket books, pillow covers etc and sell them at flea markets, bazaars, fundraisers or any other sale to make money? Thank you for your help
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Some patterns have restrictions written on them, or the magazine/book may have a written policy too. :D:D:D
Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM

once you buy a pattern you own it and can do what you want with it unless there is a specific notice saying something different.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by connie_1936
once you buy a pattern you own it and can do what you want with it unless there is a specific notice saying something different.
not necessarily- i recently finished a quilt from a pattern i purchased from a shop- sent them an email asking if it would be ok for me to sell the quilt- they let me know "NO it is not allowed-" i can display it- and show it off- but do not have permission to sell it-
if you use copyrighted patterns you are required to get permission from who ever holds that copyright to sell it- and you need to have the permission in writing. if it is in public domain (meaning the traditional blocks- that are not copyrighted) you can use them in a quilt- of your own design and sell them- but you can NOT use someone elses copyrighted design and sell it legally without permission.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

You can search Copyright in the Search Feature. This has been discussed many times and with some very heated debates... You will find more information than you ever wanted to know.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 AM

That is why I hardly ever buy patterns anymore, I make my own. I want the option to sell if I want to.

Originally Posted by ckcowl
Originally Posted by connie_1936
not necessarily- i recently finished a quilt from a pattern i purchased from a shop- sent them an email asking if it would be ok for me to sell the quilt- they let me know "NO it is not allowed-" i can display it- and show it off- but do not have permission to sell it-
if you use copyrighted patterns you are required to get permission from who ever holds that copyright to sell it- and you need to have the permission in writing. if it is in public domain (meaning the traditional blocks- that are not copyrighted) you can use them in a quilt- of your own design and sell them- but you can NOT use someone elses copyrighted design and sell it legally without permission.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:30 AM

Normally you can sell the things you make but not the pattern under your name, copyright rules.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:46 AM

I make small gifts from patterns and do sell a couple to neighbours/friends but most do have a Angel policy of selling for profit. Normally the rules applied are no more than 10, however, if selling for charity and non personal gain then the angel policy is more relaxed. Best read small print on the patterns or go on the website for more info.
The selling however of the copied pattern is forbidden, thats copyright and you can be prosecuted.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:59 AM

Thank you everyone for the info and I will do a search on this board and read previous discussions.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 AM

That's crazy! U buy a pattern make a quilt and can't sell it???