Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Selling your quilts >

Selling your quilts

Selling your quilts

Old 12-06-2014, 10:03 AM

What a horrible person to steal the quilts. I agree that someone saw. I have worked lots and lots of retail and also have been a waitress so I have been thru the wars and I always tell myself that they might think they got away with something but I know they will BURN IN HELL
Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Power Poster

So sorry that happened to your relative, but sadly there are many more unscrupulous people in the world now, unfortunately. Did she have pictures of the quilts, report them stolen so that they might be recovered some day? I know I would be heartbroken if anyone had stolen my quilts that I worked so hard to make. Granted I do give away a lot, but that's my choice.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:48 PM
mac

I agree with everyone.

You have to be really careful nowadays. Just yesterday, I was in the customer service line at Safeway returning something. The sweet little gray haired lady in front of me was reporting that someone stole her purse right out of her shopping basket. She said that she had just turned around to grab a can of beans and someone walked passed her and lifted her purse right out of the basket and they were gone in a flash. When she turned back around the purse was gone.
How many times have we had our purse in the shopping cart and looked, for example, at the shelf with the 50 different brands and styles of pickles trying to figure out which is cheaper, etc -- we are usually distracted for longer than we think -- anything could happen.

Prayers for your aunt - may something nice happen to replace this bad memory.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 PM

The purse stealing at the grocery store is not new. In the late 1970's I was grocery shopping with my mother. An employee came up to tell my mother to close watch her purse. He had seen a man sneaking around trying to grab her wallet out of the open purse. About 14 years ago I knew a woman who had her purse in the cart as she put groceries in her car. Someone drove by and grabbed her purse! Luckily a man nearby noted the make and model of the car and someone saw the license plate. The guy was picked up the next day.

So sorry to hear about the woman having her quilts stolen.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:10 PM

I use a small purse with a long strap & it is always across my body & hanging in front. A friend has hers zipped shut & uses the child straps through the handles of her purse. She can't even take out of the cart without unhooking the strap.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM

On the rare occasion that I take my purse in with me, I too wrap the child strap around my purse handle several times then flip it over so it hangs down into the basket. Not as visible that way.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

So sorry this lady's quilts were stolen right out of her home. So sad.

I sold at a craft fair today and wasn't doing too well when an older, well-dressed woman stopped in and talked to me for at least 15 minutes about all of my quilts and also quilting machines. I even wrote down the make and model of my sewing machine for her on the back of one of my business cards, at her request. She said she had several machines, an embroidery machine and was planning to buy a long-arm. I thought I was just talking to a nice fellow quilter when she said she wanted to buy one my quilts. She asked me to put it aside and hold it for her while she finished walking the craft fair, so she wouldn't have to carry it. So I held it for her for nearly two hours before realizing she was just blowing smoke up my you-know-what. Why do people have to do that? Why go through a big sham of coming back to buy a quilt when it's perfectly fine not to buy one in the first place? I was so disappointed in my lack of character judgement. I believed the lady. Everyone else was so nice today but that one bad experience made me sad.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:52 AM

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for letting everyone know.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately it is the way of the world...seems to get worse daily. I tend to be very security conscious.....only said to my husband the other day....would never be without a large dog.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Ain't people nice? Nope. I'm so sorry to hear that happened but it doesn't surprise me at all.
"People are nice" is no longer a blanket statement as much as I hate to admit. I was shocked to hear that quilts were stolen at a previous quilt show so the guild had to be on the lookout for it happening again! What leads to this kind of desperation? ...I, for the life of me, couldn't picture this happening, but it does. How disgusting.