Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Selvages

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    My first quilt instruction, made from Bali Pops, said to cut off the selvage first. And I did not prewash them. So I've just been cutting them off and tossing them out.

Well if they were from Bali Pops then your selvedge pieces were only 2 1/2" long. When I cut off my selvedge I rarely take more than 1/2". Usually less. I consider a piece 2 1/2" x 1/2" fodder for the circular file (trash can). I have seen beautiful quilts made with very long selvedges cut wider but I want every last inch of my usable fabric so I guess that is why I do it the way I do it.

Blog Entries
    I just make a snip right at the edge of the selvage, and rip it all off at one time.

Blog Entries
    Please read the update in this post from Admin.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-49123-1.htm
    Regards, Dorothy

Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I was just browsing online & I saw a quilter using them, with the writing as part of her design! I'm bored. I'm looking for a scrappy project!I'm also tired of my scraps. But, I am going to Joann's tomorrow!
    Selvage strips also make great strips to tie things up. I even used for a bow for a gift bag to a sewer. I try to remember to cut them in longer strips before cutting up my fabric.

If you are tired of scraps, think about joining the 9 patch group activity this summer. I am not sure how to post links to other threads.

My mom uses selvage strips for all kinds of neat things...I'll be with her in a couple of weeks, and will try to take and post some pictures!

I started saving selveges about a year ago when I saw the quilt on the internet. I just have to make one.

I save all my selvages and my friends save theirs for me as well. I make tote bags, lap size quilts, pot holders, all sorts of things with them. they are fun to use up and every project is unique!

I do save my selvages, (I did not post the PM's) but I did receive one.
    I have a link saved and will look for it if anyone if interested? She has a TON of items made from the selvages. I started saving them when one of my magazines had a pattern for a tote bag. I have seen a pinchusion made from but can't find the pattern again :cry:

found the link
    http://selvageblog.blogspot.com/
    check it out if you save salvages

Pam
    She hit me up, too, been saving for her. I guess I will use them to make one of those fabric covered rag rugs for my camper, LOL.

Blog Entries
    You would want to cut off the selvedges off of your yardage first :wink: Some cut them 1" some cut them wider, this is totally up to you :D:D:D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast