Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Semi Industrial Embroidery Machine - suggestions >

Semi Industrial Embroidery Machine - suggestions

Semi Industrial Embroidery Machine - suggestions

Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Default Semi Industrial Embroidery Machine - suggestions

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but I am looking for a machine that I could use with my sports teams, and in addition to personal stuff for me. Things I would embroider would be shirts, headbands, bags, sweatpants etc. Any suggestions? I don't want a sewing machine, but I don't think I need a 6 needle, not can I really afford one.

Regards, JC
Old 11-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

The problem you are going to have with a 'sewing' machine type embroidery machine is that you are going to have a difficult time getting some of the made up items into the hoop and then onto the machine. Once on the machine, you can't leave it because the item may get hung up. The dedicated 6 (and up) machines are constructed so you can get a bag, shirt, cap etc. easily on the machine and you don't have to stand right there and baby sit it.
If you do decide to get a domestic type, look into embroidery only machines and see if you can find one where the hoop is attached on the right. My first machine, a Brother PE180 did this, but the hoop was very small. With the hoop attaching on the right, you could embroider bulkier items. I don't even know if they make a machine with a larger hoop that attaches this way. All the other machines I've seen have the hoop attaching on the left, so whatever you are embroidering is laying on top of the arm, so even if you can get the item hooped, you have to sit there and make sure it doesn't interfere with the arm movement.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-02-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Pro machines don't have a flat bed. Their small tubular arms make working on narrow items incredibly easy. There are things you can do on the pro machines that just can't be done on home machines. I went with a 12 needle and never looked back. Take a look at the new Happy Journey - 7 needle and a semi-pro machine. The Happy Voyager is a true pro machine, and you can find them used for a decent price.

pam
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 AM

I love my Viking Diamond Delux and it has really large hoop sizes. I've had a couple of vikings with the best success. If I were to do a multiple needle machine it would probably be a Brother. Maybe because that's what I've mainly seen up close around here plus there are lots of shops around here to get classes from. That's why I like my serger, besides the wave stitch and air threading, I can go to any of the shops and get a class so it fits into my schedule where with my Viking, I'm always trying to get a class. I've taken more serger classes in less than a yr than I've been able to in 4 yrs with my Viking. But I love my Viking and now my teacher is having private lessons on my day off when I request. Just test out machines and make sure they can do what you want. If you have a good dealer close by take some of the things with you that you are wanting to do and make sure the machine will handle it. Good luck