Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Senior Moment >

Senior Moment

Senior Moment

Old 10-22-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Busy Bee Virtual Assistant
I found a product at Kmart that I really like called "Greased Lightning". I use it it all the time for my laundry on spots. The trick is to use a toothbrush & rub it well into the material. Don't know if it will work on your quilt, but it does a great job on oil & grease stains.
We picked up a bottle of this at Lowes . . . .good stuff! We used it to clean a disgusting used fridge, I mean DIS-GUST-ING! Cleaned it up sparkling, spanking new. Quite surprised.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
How about dried and set blood? Is there any hope of getting that out of a quilt?
I used to work for an oral surgeon. We used hydrogen peroxide on our uniforms. They were synthetic, tho. In the laundry section at the local supermarket they display tiny, colorful plastic bottles of stain remover, usually on the top shelf. Each is labeled for a specific type of stain (grass, blood, etc). Can't think of the brand or what I bought it for but it worked.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I use hand sanitizer (just gel rubbing alcohol) to get ink out of everything at school where I work. It's easily grabbed off my desk when I need it....
Old 10-22-2011, 01:47 PM

Get a bar of Ivory soap(not liquid). Wet the spot and vigorously rub soap into spot. Leave in a little while. Rinse with water and dry(can us a hair dryer). If you have a ring type stain after treating - that's a soap ring - just rinse again. I find the Ivory takes out just about all stains even old ones. Old ones may need 2 treatments. On clothes, I rub in the Ivory and leave it on the spot until I get around to washing it. It doesn't hurt to have the soap dry on the cloth.
A friend taught me this many, many years ago and I've always used it with great success.
Good luck. :-)
Old 10-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
How about dried and set blood? Is there any hope of getting that out of a quilt?
See my answer to the OP about a bar of Ivory Soap . How "set" is the stain? Yes, Ivory soap will often work on dried and set blood. Always use cold water on blood stains.
Really rub the stain with the Ivory. With blood, if I rub well with the soap and water I can see the stain come out. An old stain may be a problem, but the soap will probably lighten it at least.
With a stain on a quilt, I put a towel behind the quilt and then work on the stain, rubbing in plenty of soap.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Hair spray works because of the alcohol in it. Alcohol works. The last time I got ink on a white square, I used CVS Instant Stain Remover On the Go. It worked so well that I now keep a tube of it in my sewing room. I do use clear water to remove the stain remover from the fabric. I think it tends to turn yellow in sunlight if not rinsed out.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

I think we have all "been there, done that" a time or two. The suggestions given are sound and should get the ink out, especially if you do something right away.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM

Ok, this might be the spot to put an applique on if it doesn't come out. At least you caught it before you did more than 1/2 an inch. It could have been much worse.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Oh dear. Sorry that happened. Hope you got the ink out!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM

I have found that rubbing alcohol is the best thing to get ink out. DAB it on with a few Q-tips, don't rub, get out as much as you can with the alcohol, then wash, it should come right out.