Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sensitive quilt question >

Sensitive quilt question

Sensitive quilt question

Old 11-19-2010, 05:50 PM

I was planning on making quilts for my ds and dd girlfriend/boyfriend for Christmas. I am a complete beginner to sewing so I was going to make something very simple. Sadly, my ds 18 year old girlfriend passed away last week from a blood clot in her brain. So, my questions are, would you still make it and give it to her parents? Second, I love this Loveland log cabin http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27504-1.htm#572555 and wonder if that is too advance for me. Would that quilt design be appropriate? Third, if you'd make a quilt anyway, what pattern would you choose knowing I'm a beginner? Thank you so much!
Old 11-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

I couldn't open the direct link, but I copied and pasted it. It is a cute quilt and I think it would be a really kind and thoughtful thing to make for her parents. I would give them some before I presented it to them. Just my opinion.

It is a log cabin, and I think you should be able to make it. You can always ask as many questions as you need to.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM

I think if you are friends with the parents it would be a very nice gesture, but I would let a little time pass as they are probably too heartbroken now. I think it's a beautiful quilt and I don't think it would be too hard for you. Remember to stay true to your seam allowance. It almost doesn't matter if it is exactly 1/4" for log cabin, just so that it is consistent. Then remember to trim as you go. Should be beautiful. Show us what you make.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM

If you were close to her and her family make the quilt. Maybe do it in her favorite colors. Christmas will be a sad time for them. I would suggest you wait til after the holidays then in a riendly gesture give it to her. tell them you had planned to give it to her but thought they would appreciate it too.
I canot get into the log cabin pattern hou have. But log cabins are my favorite and an easy pattern that works up fast... good luck
Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM

Let's see if this link works, and it's a beautiful quilt and a beautiful thought.... I am so sorry for your DS.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-27504-1.htm
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

Oh my gosh that's sad. I don't know how people get through this kind of tragedy.
I agree that you can do this pattern. It's just straight stitched strips.
I don't know what to say about when to give it to them, no real opinion on that.
I also feel badly for your son. Poor guy :(
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Power Poster

That is so sad. I would make the quilt and give it to her parents. Just wait a while though
Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM

I agree with the other ladies. I think if you want to, you should. I am sure they will appreciate your loving gesture and take it in the spirit it is given. Waiting until after the holidays might be a good idea, too.

Just my humble opinion.
Thurma
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 PM

I too agree........... Yes make the quilt.
I am sure you could make this quilt
Do let a little time pass

This quilt is going to take a little time for you to make and that is good. Doing this will also help you deal with the loss of your friend.
Go for it girl...........

ScrapQuilter
Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 PM

I totally agree. make the quilt. I would try and get it done either before thanksgiving or before christmas. I don't know how soon the funeral is or how much you get to quilt. but if you can make it for the funeral you might want to do that and then give it to the mom as a hug quilt. I made one for my SIL step-dad when her mom passed suddenly. She passed the day before Halloween. I would also do it in her favorite colors and let them know that you had wanted her to have it. You might even think about getting DS to help you with the quilt in some way. it might help him threw some of his grief. Guys a lot of the time want something that they can do to work through their emotions and this will let him know that you care and are there for him. I don't know if they are religious or not but if they are you might want to include some sort of scripture in the quilt somewhere. I am a newbie also and I am really glad that I had a quilt top mostly done that I could use for the comfort quilt that I made. this is a link to the only that I made. hope that this helps you. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-74179-1.htm