Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger Selection - Opinions? >

Serger Selection - Opinions?

Serger Selection - Opinions?

Old 11-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Does anyone here have/use the Brother 1034D 3/4 Lay-In Thread Serger? I just sold my Singer serger - hated it! - and am trying to decide on a serger to buy. The Brother is within my budget and gets rave reviews online, but I'd love some honest opinions from those of you here as well :)
Old 11-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Have you found a place to test drive one?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
No, we live out in the boonies and the only place I've found that sells them (which is about an hour away) is a Walmart that still has its fabric dept. Of course, there's no way to test drive one there.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltnchik
Originally Posted by lab fairy
No, we live out in the boonies and the only place I've found that sells them (which is about an hour away) is a Walmart that still has its fabric dept. Of course, there's no way to test drive one there.
I hate when that happens. I used to live in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma and had to drive over an hour to get to a city (since OK has so many of those). Never say die. Any sewing groups in your area? Ladies groups of any kind? You could ask men too. There are some who have information. My husband would.

I polled ladies around the town where I lived about what they used and could I try it out if I brought my own fabric over. I got a lot of good practical research doing that. On a serger if you hate the way it threads you will hate the machine. Then I found a dealer (in the city) who had a really solid second hand machine that fit my requirements and budget. I always want to buy somewhere that I am guaranteed will service my machine.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM

I just ordered the machine through Amazon, along with two books as a package deal. I got free shipping, and Amazon is great about no-hassles refunds if need be. It's too close to Christmas to be without a serger and, since my Singer sold, I did what I said and used the money from it to purchase the new one :) Thanks a bunch for the input.