Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Serger ?

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Serger ?

I just had a serger given to me but I don't know exactly how to use it in quilting. Can someone enlighten me please.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

Most don't use sergers for quilting. They are great for garment sewing though. The 5 hour quilt is the only one I have seen using a serger. I think Kaye Wood does a video on that.

I've heard a few serge the edges of the sandwich to make it easier to put on binding but mostly they are for garment sewing IMHO

Blog Entries
    I use mine to serge the edges of my quilts before sewing on the binding. Also, I have made many serger QAYG quilts, they are easy and fun. They look like striped quilts and work up quickly. I have an easy pattern with several sizes. If you would like it, just send me a PM.

there is a book serge and merge where you sew strips with the seams on the outside-very decorative.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Nancy Zieman has a book about serging quilts. There should be tutes on the internet
    Judy

i am in the same situation. just received serger from a friend who got a new one. luckily for me she is going to show me how to use it. she swears that it makes the very best quilts. i am looking forward to finding out how to do it. good luck.
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

The local sewing machine shop has classes on using the serger, and some of the classes include quilting. Some people also serge the edges of new yardage before washing. I don't have one and haven't seen a real need for it.

Blog Entries
    I have never made a quilt with my serger, but it's something I want to try someday.

Here are a couple of links to look at. The first link is to a website with quilt/serger information. The second link is to a video by Nancy Zieman.

Website that has serged quilt information
    http://www.lindaleeoriginals.com/

Nancy Zieman’s video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAzqq98Q0KI

I love my serger, I bought it back in 1990 and have sure gotten my money's worth. I serge all seams if I make anything except piecing quilts. But I do serge the edges of fabric before washing. Keeps it from fraying.

I will be picking up another one tonight from a friend. She only wants 25.00 for it. She upgraded. My original one is a Singer Quantum Lock 5 thread. The one I'm getting tonight is a Janome 134d, 4 thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast