Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Serger?? >

Serger??

Serger??

Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 AM

I want to buy an inexpensive serger. Since I already own Janome machines, I was leaning towards a Janome serger. However, my husband found a Singer one for less than $200. I've never serged before and not sure what to look for in one. What are the "must-have" features on a serger and do any of you any recommendations? Or machines that you would definitely stay away from?

Thanks! :)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:32 AM

Personally I wouldn't buy a Singer serger...they don't have great reviews. I've owned a couple Whites (one very old one that was excellent!), a Brother (1034), and now have a Toyota & a Euro Pro, neither of which I'm real happy with. The Brother was by far my favorite & can be found online around $200. Super easy to thread & use, quiet & smooth, good value for the money. I've owned Janome machines but not their sergers, if I had the $ to blow I'd get their coverstitch machine in a second though!

Oh, must-have features (gotta learn to read better). Differential feed, 3 or 4 thread option (minimum), extra feet & plate, ease of threading, especially that lower looper, ability to buy parts like extra cutting blades, off the top of my head anyway...My oldest White would serge through several layers of denim without a hitch, nice metal machine. The Brother was good for that too.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 AM

I would recommend going with a $200.00 one to start with and see if you like using a serger. I bought a Viking 910 for $1000.00 and I would use it more if it worked, or I understood it better. Most complaints come from threading the machines. There is one that will "whoosh" and thread it for you, however, when the "whoosh" is gone you either need to pay for repairs or do it manually anyway. It just takes practice. I'm about ready to take mine and throw into the parking lot of the dealer!! If I had bought a less expensive one I could have bought 5 new machines by now.

The machine is going to make the same stitch, no matter how much you pay for it. So why pay more till you know you are going to love it!!!!

I do love making up pillowcases on mine. And I sew the seams on totes so they are good and strong. That is when it cooperates with me......................

Have fun and good luck!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 AM

I used to sell Singer machines and sergers--I bought Pfaff while I was doing it. Unless Singer has greatly improved their sergers, I wouldn't have one.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM

I have a Janome model HF504D but I bought it about 7 yrs ago. It has been just fine. I have used it to make my son a quilt (I serged all of the top) and it turned out great not bulky at all. I love mine, do I use it as much as the sewing machine no, but it is good to do a lot of things the machine can't. Glad I have it!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:53 AM

the main thing i would say is get one with at least 4 threads
Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 AM

I have a Janome serger, and I've been happy with it. Ease of threading is pretty much the top thing I would look for, and the lower looper is the hardest one to thread. On mine, that has proven to be pretty easy( if you follow directions!!LOL) As to what features to look for, I think that will depend on what, and how much ,you plan to use it for.The rolled hem foot and differential feed is important, and a 3/4 thread. Personally, I use mine a lot, but mostly for straight seaming/finishing, I've never really tried to do most of the things they can be used for, the decorative type sewing. If that is of interesst to you, you will need to study serging books and even take some classes to get the most benefits.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

I bought a Singer 2o years ago, and had no problems, it is a four thread you need four thread because you can sew wth it also, I wouldn't spend alot on it because you won;t use it as much as you yhink, imho,
Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

I have the 2 both singer.. I love singer.
The newest is the Singer curve. it has 120 programed.
stitches . I believe 20 different feet. including a walking foot and a ruffler. then it has you serger feeds too.
so as a quilter and a seamstress you get everything ..
i bought mine on hsn and used the flexpay. worked fine for me. I hoped this helped.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM

I have a Bernette (made in Japan for Bernina) that I bought in 1985. It runs like a jet engine and has an attachment that does rolled hemming. It's a workhorse, I use it constantly. I have NEVER changed the blade and that is after thirty years of sewing on fleece! If you are interested in serging, buy a good machine. Most have all the features built in but I would shop around and get demos before buying. You need to know what you will be doing with it. Bernina is the best but there are many on the market that are just as good. Don't go for price. I believe a serger for less than $200 will give you just what you pay for. A serger is a fast, strong machine and it best be built well to take the abuse it normally will get just using it. Good luck and happy serging!