Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sergers

Does anyone use a serger to put together a quilt?? If you have a serger do you feel it was worth the money?

I just quilted my first serger quilt. It is also my last one. But I love my serger for garment construction! And home dec items, rolled hems on napkins and baby blankets, the best!
    Pat

Blog Entries
    No, you'd be laying way too much thread to make the seam lay nicely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    No, you'd be laying way too much thread to make the seam lay nicely.
    this was my first thought, too. and what do you do at the intersections of the blocks?

Blog Entries
    I have/love my serger, but don't use it for quilting. I do however use for finishing the edges on coasters/mugrugs as I'm much too lazy to do that small amount of binding!

Blog Entries
    I used a serger on my flannel rail fence quilt for my bed. Worked wonderful to deal with the flannel. I also ended up serging a quilt for someone who chose to include a fabric that would not stop fraying. I was afraid this Trip Around the World would fall apart, so that was the only option I could find. It worked fine but was quite a bit of work.

I don't use my serger much now, since I mainly quilt. I mainly use it when DH wants a new shirt, jacket, or whatever. I would not get rid of it for anything, really need to use it more, lol. But I mainly quilt now, so it sits, oh well....

I LOVE my serger, but I would not use it for quilting.

I serged a snowball quilt once and the back of that quilt was beautiful - the prettiest quilt back I've ever made.

If I were to make another flannel quilt, I would choose a pattern based on how well it works with the serger.

I use my serger on almost every quilt to even up the edges and give me a nice clean edge to which to attach the binding.

LOVE my serger!!! :)

I have a serger, use it for everything but quilting. I have seen instructions in serging books, for how to make quilts that are usually small sized, and durable.... like baby quilts or something. The seams are all serged and they are super durable. Lots of tugging, pulling, washing and use. But for heirloom quilting? No.

Love my serger. Love my various sewing machines. Wish I had a 26' x 40' room to put it all in! lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast