Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sergers >

sergers

sergers

Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 AM

I'm considering buying a serger. I've never used one before. I make bags and simple household sewing projects, and also quilt. Would this be a machine that would be useful? I have an opportunity to buy one at a discount before my husband retires from his job(we get an employee discount).
What do you think...useful, or not needed. Also, what would you recommend and why?
Thanks for your input.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:42 AM

I love mine, and I use it for everything!! It really depends on how much you sew. #1, don't be afraid of it.
Will you get lessons?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:54 AM

I bought a serger 6 years ago, a nice used Babyloc from a sewing machine store. While I don't use if frequently, when I do it's very valuable. Because I don't use it monthly, I wouldn't buy one new. It has made making drapes, and other home dec items super easy, and you can't beat those beutifully finished seams. I'm not into making clothing items, and the one time I used it in quilting I regretted it. I was piecing together the backing of a quilt. Once I put together the quilt I was disappointed with the bulk of the seam on the back, wouldn't do that again.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 AM

I sew every day. Lately, I've been making bags, totes, and pillows for friends, as well as quilting.
Do I need lessons, or would I be able to teach myself using the internet and practicing on the machine?
I've taught myself to quilt using the internet and advice from friends, but no lessons.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 AM

You likely don't need lessons, although its nice to be taught how to care for your machine. If you can find that online too, you're all set! If you are buying new, some machines come with a video of how to use it anyway!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Just a tip: You also have to remember to oil all the 'metal that touches metal' with every 8 hrs of use or if the serger sits for a month without use. Love my serger.......you can even quilt with them........but, you have to read up on doing it with a serger.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi19
I sew every day. Lately, I've been making bags, totes, and pillows for friends, as well as quilting.
Do I need lessons, or would I be able to teach myself using the internet and practicing on the machine?
I've taught myself to quilt using the internet and advice from friends, but no lessons.
A lot of it depends on what kind of sewing you do. I sew for people, make clothing, do alterations, and make window treatments, duvets, etc. The serger saves a lot of time for those things. When I make fleece throws I serge the edges with decorative thread. For quilting I don't use it except maybe when using flannel. If I am making large plain tote bags for shopping bags I use the serger, but not for anything lined. I have 2 sergers. One is set up all the time for the stitch you see on your tee shirts and sweat pants. The other is the one I use for everything else. I would get one from a dealer so you can get lessons. There are several price ranges up to computerized ones. You really have to learn a completely new way to sew when you have a serger. I love mine. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

I got a Bernette serger a few years back, and like it when I use it. Handy to have, when needed. If you have a good opportunity, I'd say get one.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sewze
Just a tip: You also have to remember to oil all the 'metal that touches metal' with every 8 hrs of use or if the serger sits for a month without use. Love my serger.......you can even quilt with them........but, you have to read up on doing it with a serger.
Mine (a Viking) says NOT to oil the metal parts. They stay sharp from the metal contact. I have had mine at least 5 years and have never had to repair or replace anything; just have it cleaned and serviced yearly.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM

I have a Bernina serger that I bought several years ago. I don't use it a lot, but when I do it is great to have. I used it more when I made more clothing than I do now.