Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers........Tell me about them >

Sergers........Tell me about them

Sergers........Tell me about them

Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 AM

I also use mine when I make clothing. In fact, I'm looking to upgrade one of these days and get one that flatlocks so I can put the professional looking hems in knits. I DO use my serger around the outside of blocks that I am appliqueing. It sure keeps the fraying under control. I also serge around the edge of my quilts before binding, again for fray and string control.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Sash, oiling a serger is even more important than oiling a sewing machine because the serger does so many more stitches per minute. On mine, there are just two oiling spots, both underneath the machine, where the round rods slide back and forth through thingies with holes (two places where parts rub together). It's important to brush out or vacuum out lint before oiling.

I used my serger a couple of times to make a quilt. Personally don't care for so much extra thread in the seam; makes the seams bulkier. I have seen intricate quilts done on a serger using strip piecing, but it takes expertise.

The real value of a serger to me (assuming the serger has differential feed, which most do) is its ability to sew knits without stretching them out of shape. So much better than a sewing machine for this! However, since I rarely use knits in quilting, it's not that useful to me for quilting.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I contemplated getting a serger last year. You want the new ones that are self threading. They are ideal for sewing clothing with beautiful finished seams. They can be used for piecing but the overlooked thread edges can make a slightly more visible seams under the top. Some people use the overlock seams as accents on the top of the quilt top and that works well. I decided to buying a better Benina sewing machine instead of the serger and couldn't afford both. I don't sew enough clothes anymore to justify the cost but I would still like one.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:43 AM

I saw an episode of Fons and Porter where the guest made a strip quilt with ruffles entirely on the serger. It was so cute - made me want to go out and buy one of the new ones.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 AM

I have had a serger for many years, I am on my 4th! I started with an inexpensive Juki, upgraded to a nicer one, then to the top of the line Viking Husky 930 and was very happy for a long time (tough to learn to thread, but after learning ALWAYS thread top looper first, then bottom looper, then needles) I did ok. Then I fell in love with the Babylock Extrodinaire!!

FOOT PEDAL INFO,
Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 AM

FOOT PEDAL INFO (sorry got cut off) I am assuming you have issues with your feet, so why couldn't you put the foot pedal up on the table and push it with your hand? I have done this when working on a tall table and barstool, where I couldn't reach the floor. Could have stood up but where's the fun in that?! Linda
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 AM

When my sister passed away, her husband gave me her serger. We are starting to make friends. I love the way it gathers as you go for doll clothes. Receiving blankets are a snap to make with the serged seams. I don't use it alot but when I do I like it.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 AM

ill tell you what i know- sergers are a wondeful contraption!! they sew, they cut, whats not to love!
BUT- dont get the cadillac of machines like the baby lock with the jet air threading, ive read about it, and most complaints are with that type of serger, that if the air goes out, you cant thread it..well..fer cryin out loud.
i bought my brother on amazon.com just before christmas, for $198.00- FREE SHIPPING! do yourself a favor, dont go for the high end stuff, jus cuz it would be nice to have, do your homework on all the models, brother, janome, whatever. find one thats in your price range too, i know the vikings are waaaaay overpriced. even if it doesnt have all the bells n whistles you want, sometimes a compromise is good!! good luck!
katz
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by linda8450 View Post
FOOT PEDAL INFO (sorry got cut off) I am assuming you have issues with your feet, so why couldn't you put the foot pedal up on the table and push it with your hand? I have done this when working on a tall table and barstool, where I couldn't reach the floor. Could have stood up but where's the fun in that?! Linda
There also may be conversion kits that could adapt one over.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM

Nancy Zieman did a 3 part series recently on using your serger. Episodes 2514, 2515, 2516
http://www.wpt.org/sewingwithnancy/sewing.cfm
I have 2. A Bernina bought at the thrift store "as is" for $30. It just needed to be oiled and purrs along beautifully now. I keep it threaded with black thread. The second is a little bit newer Singer. Got it at an end of the weekend garage sale for $3. Just too good of a deal to pass up. Nothing wrong with that one. So this one stays threaded with white. I don't use either one often, but they are nice to have for some things. I serged the edges of the fabric leaders on my quilt frame. Serged the edges of my muslin I use in cheese making.

FREE Quilting Newsletter