Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Servicing Woes >

Servicing Woes

Servicing Woes

Old 09-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Default Servicing Woes

Well, my Husqvarna Viking Freesia was due it's first service (Stitch quality - and length - had begun to be a little variable, and I could see lint build up that I couldn't get to (I tried to get the housing off to have clean myself, but couldn't). Anyway, we're more than a little limited in my neck of the woods, so I ended up taking it in to the place where I'd had my daughter's machine sorted out (they appear to have done a good job for her, but it took about two months). Five weeks later I have my machine back - but something is not right! The machine seems really noisy now, and I'm also getting a clicking noise every time the needle goes up and down. I was also disconcerted to find oil in the bobbin area (the Freesia is self lubriating and - following the manual's instruction - I have assiduously not oiled. But perhaps when being serviced oil is added somewhere?). I don't know what to do! I was so relieved to finally have it back (I have been using my daughter's machine in the interim, but it is not the same - and I have a bag to make which her machine could not cope with). I know that the machines were sent off site this time around (last time I was told - repeatedly - that their engineer was unavailable, this time that they were waiting for a call to pick up the machines). Does it ever take a little time to 'bed' the machine in after a service? Does anyone know about the oiling issue?
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 AM

Your machine should be purring like a kitten when newly serviced. If there was something they could not fix they should have informed you of it. It will be oiled when serviced so that is ok. Personally I think I would take it back and insist they either make it right or refund at least some of your money. (They did apparently clean it which is worth something.) Then I would find someone else to service it next time.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:43 AM

I have a new Dream machine and while embroidering recently I noticed some 'clicking' too; then I remember that on this machine I have to occasionally make sure to check that the bar that holds the foot and the needle screws are tightened up good. When I checked the needle it almost fell into my hand; I changed it anyway because I figured it'd gotten flattened on the end from the clicking - from hitting the plate. That might not be your issue but is worth a check. But yes it should be running like it was new. I too would find another place. At one time we had an individual who serviced and repaired machines in his home. He did a great job; unfortunately he's passed away so I do go to the quilt store where I bought it. They service them on-site. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:51 AM

no - it should not take any time for your machine to break in after serviceing, unless they replaces some major mechanical components.

If it's clicking, then the timing is not right. Sounds like someone who did not know your particular machine messed with it and gave up when they had it "good enough".
Old 09-05-2016, 07:13 AM

I would definitely take it back & show them what it is doing & request it be re-checked by their TOP repair man without any extra charge. If they can't fix it I would request my money back & never use them again.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:25 AM

My manual for my Babylock Espire also says not to oil but when I took a class on machine maintenance we were told that we should put a drop of oil in the center of the bobbin case periodically despite what the manual says.

I agree with all the other suggestions about getting the repair shop to fix or refund your money.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:28 AM

Having trouble in our area getting quality service as well. Drove with my neighbor almost an hour to what had been a major Viking dealer. When I saw the shop had gotten smaller, I asked if the machine would be serviced on site. They said yes, but later found out it was shipped to a location in NJ which would have been about the same drive, but at least not sitting waiting for the once a week pickup. They had her machine for a month and her embroidery machine has never worked correctly since.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:40 AM

So sorry for your machine woes! I'm fortunate to have an awesome dealer/repair person in my area so have no worries. Your machine should be purring like a kitten when it comes back! Good luck resolving your issues.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Some machines have heft and right timing someone who does not know this can really mess up a machine it definitely needs to be corrected before it does more damage. It was obviously someone who does not know about machines that worked on it.

Originally Posted by GarageDragon View Post
Well, my Husqvarna Viking Freesia was due it's first service (Stitch quality - and length - had begun to be a little variable, and I could see lint build up that I couldn't get to (I tried to get the housing off to have clean myself, but couldn't). Anyway, we're more than a little limited in my neck of the woods, so I ended up taking it in to the place where I'd had my daughter's machine sorted out (they appear to have done a good job for her, but it took about two months). Five weeks later I have my machine back - but something is not right! The machine seems really noisy now, and I'm also getting a clicking noise every time the needle goes up and down. I was also disconcerted to find oil in the bobbin area (the Freesia is self lubriating and - following the manual's instruction - I have assiduously not oiled. But perhaps when being serviced oil is added somewhere?). I don't know what to do! I was so relieved to finally have it back (I have been using my daughter's machine in the interim, but it is not the same - and I have a bag to make which her machine could not cope with). I know that the machines were sent off site this time around (last time I was told - repeatedly - that their engineer was unavailable, this time that they were waiting for a call to pick up the machines). Does it ever take a little time to 'bed' the machine in after a service? Does anyone know about the oiling issue?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
My manual for my Babylock Espire also says not to oil but when I took a class on machine maintenance we were told that we should put a drop of oil in the center of the bobbin case periodically despite what the manual says.

I agree with all the other suggestions about getting the repair shop to fix or refund your money.
I never once oiled my bobbin case in the years I had my espire and the same for my dreamweaver. Why would they tell you to go against the manual. There are reasons the manual is written the way its written