Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting Triangles??? >

Setting Triangles???

Setting Triangles???

Old 12-30-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Setting Triangles???

I'm using Setting triangles & corner triangles for the first time (probably last). Of course I messed up & cut twice as many setting triangles & not enough corner ones. Although I cut them the way I read on here they seem to be the same size. Is this right. Can I use those extra setting triangles as corner triangles. Why did I cut a square in half for the corner triangles and cut A bigger square into 4 triangles. I know there must be a reason. I'm just not getting it. It's much easier for me to cut a square in half.LOL
Old 12-30-2013, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Don't feel bad. I had problems trying to figure them out when I first started quilting. I bought Lynn Graves setting triangle ruler. I am sure others have come out with similar rulers that take the guess work out of it all. Someone on the board will post sites with videos. If you need to, I would fuse very light fusible where you will be cutting so that you will not have any problems with bias on the outside of your corner triangles. There is a different between setting triangles and corner triangles. Setting triangles have the straight of grain along the long side so there is no bias when you attach a border or binding. They are created by cutting an X in a square piece of fabric. Corner triangles have the straight of grain on two short sides. They are made from one diagonal cut thru a square. Hope this helps. Pictures are worth a thousand words !!!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

maniacquilter explained it pretty well...you do not want bias edges around the outside of your quilt- bias edges stretch easily which can cause a lot of trouble when adding borders or binding. corner triangles are cut once diagonally- the straight *short* edges are the non-bias edges- they are around the outside of the corners- the bias *long* edge is inside the quilt. the setting triangles are cut in an X so that the outside edges are again on the straight grain- the bias edges toward the center of the quilt. if you choose to try to use your triangles that were cut incorrectly you should either really starch them well or add a lightweight fusible interfacing/stabilizer to keep the stretchy bias edge from creating a 'wonky' quilt edge. it can be done- but bias edges take much tender care.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

PMing you about a tutorial I have.

Jan in VA
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Thank you so much for explaining so well re the bias edge. I knew there had to be a reason for what I consider extra cutting. I'll use extra starch as an extra precaution.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Don't feel bad. I had problems trying to figure them out when I first started quilting. I bought Lynn Graves setting triangle ruler. I am sure others have come out with similar rulers that take the guess work out of it all. Someone on the board will post sites with videos. If you need to, I would fuse very light fusible where you will be cutting so that you will not have any problems with bias on the outside of your corner triangles. There is a different between setting triangles and corner triangles. Setting triangles have the straight of grain along the long side so there is no bias when you attach a border or binding. They are created by cutting an X in a square piece of fabric. Corner triangles have the straight of grain on two short sides. They are made from one diagonal cut thru a square. Hope this helps. Pictures are worth a thousand words !!!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:19 PM

There's a learning curve to using setting triangles, and you are already well on the way to mastering the technique! Others have provided wonderful advice. I just want to affirm your question as being perfectly normal for a beginner and encourage you to keep going. Soon you'll feel confident!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:38 AM

You have never used setting triangles? It is not difficult, and really gives a great look to a top when those blocks are set on point...can also require less blocks on a top....something about the width of that block on point as opposed to straight across......
On second thought I have been quilting for a long time and have never attempted a Double Wedding Ring, so I understand.