Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses.  Need encouragement! >

Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses. Need encouragement!

Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses. Need encouragement!

Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 PM
Kas

Default Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses. Need encouragement!

So I am making the Chic Kisses quilt and it is a double wedding ring type. The arcs are supposed to be sewn with a scant 1/4" seam. Well, they are not turning out the same sizes and when I go to cut the curved parts with the ruler, sometimes one of the arc wedges is poking out past the other lined up edges by a half inch or more! I am beyond frustrated because the pattern doesn't give and definite points to line up on the ruler for this step. It just says to line up the edge so it is touching on both outer sides. I know this is very vague. So is the stinking pattern!!! Has anyone out there made this one? I looked on Youtube and there were other patterns demoed, but not the Chic Kisses.

Thanks!

Kathy
Old 09-13-2016, 01:08 AM
Gay

Boy, this chic (pun intended) really likes curves in her quilts.

Can you draw a template using the arc ruler and mark in the pieces, and do it as foundation piecing? I started a DWR quilt but my rings ended up different sizes so it's now a UFO.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:14 AM

I would try writing to Sew Kind of Wonderful. They should be able to help you out. Please keep us informed because their patterns look great. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:16 AM

I'm not sure this helps or would work, but there is a download template for the wedges. If all else fails, could you paper piece those? Can you post pictures to help us see the problem?
Old 09-13-2016, 04:23 AM

I would take the two pieces and pin them together with a lot of pins just to make sure the pattern is right. If the pattern was right, maybe glue basting your fabric together before you sew might work.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 AM

I have one of her patterns and I got so frustrated, it has partially been cut and sitting for about 2 years...
I think I will give it away as a freebie...
Kirsten
Old 09-13-2016, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Did you buy the ruler(s) suggested for the pattern?

Sometimes they are worth buying to minimize the hassle of trying to make the pattern work?
Old 09-13-2016, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I bought that very same pattern earlier this year at the Road to California quilt show. I bought the matching ruler too. I haven't started the quilt yet - and now I'm a little afraid - but I fell in love with the quilt, which was being used as a cover for a display table.

All the Sewkindofwonderful patterns are designed to use their rulers, so I second bear's opinion of getting the ruler if you don't already have it. You might also check out some of the videos on using these rulers - https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...derful&tbm=vid.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:44 AM
Kas

I have the ruler. You can't paper piece the wedges because the template for the wedges has them going in alternating directions to get the most of the fabric. You pin the paper to the layers of fabric and the cut on the lines. A template for the finished shape and size of the arcs is a fabulous idea. Now if only I knew exactly where to cut to create that perfect shape to copy! Oy!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 AM
Kas

I do have the ruler and the pattern. The pattern isn't very clear and my sewing may be off, but I can't tell because there is no defined size it should turn out!