Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing In Basement

I am currently doing my sewing in a small bedroom upstairs (1 1/2 story house) that is on the Southwest side of the house. It gets unbearable in that room by early afternoon. I am thinking about moving everything to the basement where it is much cooler. I run a dehumidifier down there all the time. Do you think it will harm my machines to be in the basement full time?

I sewed in my basement for years. Never had any dehumdifier at all. Never had any machine problems.

not if you keep the dehumidifier going

Blog Entries
    We dont have basements in texas!!!

I never had problems...you should be fine

I sew in the basement with no problems

I moved to the basement last year. It's great. My previous sewing room was so incredibly unbearable in the summer that I wouldn't sew from June to September.

Now dh has the room as a computer room and loves the heat. Strange people-might be that I have a whole lot more insulation. I outweigh him be ~45 pounds.

I've been sewing in the basement for 10 years--I have 6 machines down there and no problems with any of them. I don't run a dehumidifier, but mine is a walkout basement and it's heated and air conditioned. I love it, especially in the summer!

klc
    My sewing room for years was the entire finished basement. Sometimes we used a dehumidifier and sometimes we didn't. I never had a problem. Last summer I moved upstairs to a spare bedroom that faces north. I am so much happier now that I am upstairs. I didn't like not having windows or being isolated downstairs. My space has been drastically reduced, but it is so worth it. Maybe you could put blinds up to reduce the heat. Just make sure it is really what you want. It is a lot of work moving everything. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Blog Entries
    I would make sure that all your fABRIC is up off the floor and if there is no storage, make sure to have it in Rubbermaid totes with their lids closed tight if your in a flooding area. :)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast