Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sewing with batiks

Blog Entries
    I see the beautiful batiks in stores and all the wonderful projects the have been posted here. Are there any tips for working with batiks? I made one quilt that included a batik fabric and I found that my machine sometimes skipped a stitch over the batik when quilting. Is this a common problem, or was it just that fabric? I would love to use more batiks, but I avoid them now. Any hints?

make sure you are using a good (new) sharp needle. batiks are wonderful to work with!!!

Pam
    I agree. I love them.

If you are having some "issues" while sewing with batik, try making some minor adjustments to your machine - maybe lengthening the stitch just a wee bit, changing your needle to a slightly smaller size, etc. I've never had a problem, but I always sew on batik and will continue to do so until my 3,000 yards are gone! Personally, I would not mix batik with another fabric unless it "feels" the same as batik. For example, I would never use batik with a lightweight, cheaper WalMart fabric. This may cause puckering, skipped stitches and other problems. This is just my opinion and if this helps you, great!!!!

Pam
    Usually batiks are much more densely woven. Often there is a waxy feel to the fabric that does not wash out, I am sure it is because wax is used in the coloring process and it just becomes a part of the "hand" of the fabric.

The shop where I bought my machine recommended a smaller needle when sewing with batiks.

Wash the batiks before using! Use Shout color catchers in the wash.

I have never had a problem sewing with batiks, but I do change my needle.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    never had a problem--shame that you did--batiks would be the last fabric i would give up on----they have very little "give" and are so much easier to work with for that exact reason-they STAY PUT! Besides they are so gorgeously unique

Most of my stash is batiks, I love them. I've never had a problem with them, but I do change my needle regularly.