Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing a blanket - not exactly quilting >

sewing a blanket - not exactly quilting

sewing a blanket - not exactly quilting

Old 04-01-2010, 11:45 AM

Okay, this isn't exactly a quilting question, but lots of you experienced sewers can help, I'm sure :) I want to make my daughter a quick easter gift - a throw from some "fur" fabric left from a costume, backed with flannel, and bound with purchased satin blanket binding. Probably 40" by 60" (or whatever size my fabric is, lol) at most, so not huge. Do I just sew the pieces together around the edge, then sew the binding on? I can't exactly "quilt" the fur, but will it be too floppy if I don't secure the body except on the edges?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

Have you sewn with "fur" before? It is notoriously difficult to handle! Satin binding can be rather difficult to sew on without ripples too. You may need to lift the presser foot every few inches to relieve distortion while you sew.

I would tie or tack the two pieces together, maybe every 4 to 6 inches, just to make sure they don't flop apart. I would do this by machine except the fur may not respond well to machine tacking, in which case I would hand-tack.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 PM

Prism99 is right - those are two very hard to work with fabrics. When done, just tie it. Though I have a purchased one that is two fabrics just sewn right sides together then slip stitched and it isn't too floppy.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 AM

I'm not sure if this it'll work or not, but what if you fuse the front and back together with some very light fusible?
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure how the fuse would work, you would have to use a synthetic setting on your iron, and I don't know if it would be hot enough to fuse the cotton fabric.

I would definitely use a walking foot for stitching on this, and I would be more tempted to use cotton fabric for the binding... Maybe wash and dry the flannel a couple of times, as the fur isn't going to shrink at all, and the flannel can shrink through several washings...
Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I've made several "charity" blankies by stitching flannel and fleece, right sides together, half inch seam, leaving a small opening for turning. Turn it right side out, stitch 1/4 from edge to make a "binding" and this will also close the opening. I then stitch in a grid pattern across and down to quilt the pieces together. Or, I pin it to the leaders on my mid-arm Tin Lizzie and free motion to my heart's content! Fleece sticks well to flannel, doesn't shift much.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:07 AM

I'd shrink the flannel, as someone else suggested. If you want to secure the layers, how about tying them together from the flannel side? Then the ties don't interrupt the fur (how long is the 'fur'?) and the two sides are not going to separate.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I think if I wanted to make this into a quilt, I would round the corners off into a gentle curve and hand baste it together right sides together. Then I would sew the seams leaving a opening to turn it and hand sew the opening together. I made one like this tons of years ago and it held up great. One suggestion, don't use anything slippery as the backing. It won't stay anywhere you want it to.