Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Cabinet >

Sewing Cabinet

Sewing Cabinet

Old 01-14-2011, 03:59 PM

I have been sewing on a Bernina for years on top of a table and think a cabinet with a built in would be helpful when sewing big quilt tops. I also have a serger and an embroidery machine. I want to be able to fold up the cabinet when guests come for a visit.

So tell me about your sewing cabinets, .... I have been looking at Horn and Koala. Hoping to get a good value...
Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM

I have a Koala cabinet and I love it. I can have my sewing machine in the part that lowers down so the machine is level with the flat of the table and then the side extension table holds my embroidery machine. Purchased mine on the internet several years ago and got a really good deal so do some online shopping too for pricing.

mltquilt
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM

I can't imagine trying to quilt with a machine perched on a table. A cabinet will make it so much easier. I've always had my Bernina in a cabinet that will raise and lower the machine if you ever want to put it away. Mine is never in that position but it is good to have the option. Get the largest best cabinet you can afford and happy stitching.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Banned

I have a Horn sewing table and I just love it. I guess it's about five or six years old now and just as sturdy and pretty as the day I bought it. The inset raises and lowers easily for any size machine. The back part of the table is a hinged leaf that I keep lowered when I'm doing pieceing and I put up to give me a large surface area for when I'm quilting the quilt. There are a lot of good sewing cabinets out there, but I'm very happy with my Horn. :-)
Old 01-14-2011, 05:54 PM

I have both Horn (3156) and Koala cabinets (Treasure Chest 3 and Quiltmate 3) and love them all. The 3156 folds up and keeps the machine and drawers locked away from kids and evildoers who would use your Ginghers for cutting balsa wood veneers. Look for discontinued models, esp from Koala, for a deal.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

I have a Horn and paid quite a bit for it. Lately I've seen a number of ads on craigslist for Horn and other good cabinets for relatively little $. If I needed acabinet today I would check there first.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SuzanneG
I have a Horn sewing table and I just love it. I guess it's about five or six years old now and just as sturdy and pretty as the day I bought it. The inset raises and lowers easily for any size machine. The back part of the table is a hinged leaf that I keep lowered when I'm doing pieceing and I put up to give me a large surface area for when I'm quilting the quilt. There are a lot of good sewing cabinets out there, but I'm very happy with my Horn. :-)
I have the same one and highly recommend it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM

I found an office surplus store where they recycle used office furniture. I found a wonderful six foot desk that holds my serger, sewing machine and embroidery machine for $30.00. It has four nice drawers. I also picked up a computer table for $30.00 which is place next to my big desk that I use to iron on and cut on. They worked perfect in my sewing closet (5'x 8') and I don't have much invested.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Check out Arrow cabinets, more reasonable than Horn or Koala. Also go to www.kenssewingcenter.com. They have great deals also. They also sell on ebay under easyterms.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rhodim
I have been sewing on a Bernina for years on top of a table and think a cabinet with a built in would be helpful when sewing big quilt tops. I also have a serger and an embroidery machine. I want to be able to fold up the cabinet when guests come for a visit.

So tell me about your sewing cabinets, .... I have been looking at Horn and Koala. Hoping to get a good value...
I could have sworn you were peeking into my sewing room! I really like my cabinet (got from Joann's last year and it has room for my serger, embroidery machine and sewing machine) but I wish it had a drop to bring the machine level with the table for piecing and quilting.